"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Wolf reliability??

Hi -

Building a house and am looking at a Wolf dual fuel DF304-LP. Went to a big chain store and they priced it out, but tried to steer me towards the DCS as being of better value. Went to another big competing store and they pushed hard towards AMERICAN RANGE saying they were much better for the price. Both told me that the Wolf electronics were very expensive to replace and were somewhat prone to failiure (the "hidden" electronics and the digital temperature control on the oven knob). Any feedback from you guys on this? Edging towards the Wolf, but these comments scared me. Checked with Wolf and the parts are $700+ to replace if they break - kind of scary given their proximity to the oven and potential heat damage.

Thoughts on this "Wolf issue", on American Range and DCS?

Thanks!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi neeek. Welcome to DC

I am not aware of the Wolf issue. It generally gets good reviews. I have also heard the DCS is a good piece of equipment.

If you search some of our threads in the Appliance section, you'll find some good comments. This subject has been discussed at length.

You have to be sceptical of anything a salesperson tells you about a brand he doesn't want you to buy because his store doesn't carry it or because he gets incentives to sell another brand.

Have you checked epinions.com or other product evaluation sites?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Andy - thanks for the welcome note :)

Didn't find anything on epinions and nothing specific on the reliability of the onboard electronics of the Wolf duel-fuels...

Both stores sold Wolf ranges and were glad to sell them to me. The concerns they raised were just enough for me to want to get other opinions on...

Anyone out there have any issues with the Wolf electronics on the new duel fuels? DF304/DF366?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

We have regular members who are much more knowledgeable and have first-hand experience. Hang in and they will respond.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I just service on my KA dw and asked the serviceman about Wolfe ranges, because I really thought I wanted one. He told me that there are numerous problems with this brand and parts are very expensive.
He took the wind out of my sails.
He said that the Jenn Aire was good. I never considered that brand.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essiebunny View Post
I just service on my KA dw and asked the serviceman about Wolfe ranges, because I really thought I wanted one. He told me that there are numerous problems with this brand and parts are very expensive.
He took the wind out of my sails.
He said that the Jenn Aire was good. I never considered that brand.
Can't offer any advice on ranges, but Buck and I have a Jenn-Air dishwasher we bought at a thrift store many years ago for $15 that is working like a champ. Turns out it was an appliance store model that was discontinued and had been donated to the Salvation Army. It has been an awesome appliance and enough that we'd consider Jenn-Air for future appliance purchases.

I also have to add that, when we contacted Jenn-Air about the dishwasher, they were more than helpful. They asked for the serial number and, from that, gave us the history of the appliance. I had several more questions about it and was given more than adequate answers.

Best wishes on your appliance quest.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:45 PM   #7
Master Chef

Mom & Pop just built a new house and Mom wanted a Wolf because she saw one somewhere and liked the way they looked ... they, too, were warned away from one because of dependability issues. They wound up with a Jenn-Air that Mom loves.

Those are not cheap stoves - you might want to consider going to Consumer Reports.org and pay the $6 to join for a month to read the reviews they have on the Wolf and other ovens. But, when you consider you have already been to two stores and they both told you the same thing about the Wolf oven problems ... I would probably give that some thought.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Those are not cheap stoves - you might want to consider going to Consumer Reports.org and pay the $6 to join for a month to read the reviews they have on the Wolf and other ovens.
We get the magazine and they rated stoves recently. I don't have it on me (I'm at work right now), but if I remember correctly, the Wolf rated very low in reliability.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Most public libraries have back issues of Consumer Reports magazine in the reference section.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I have a Wolf and it is fine. Appliance sales showed me many brands and rated Wolf highest. Talked to several independent service folks and they rated Wolf very highly. Any high end range (Wolf Viking Thermador etc is gonna cost for parts if and when needed because they parts are pricey, period!) DCS is good but recently bought out by Fisher and Paykel, Australian, so make sure parts and service are readily available in your area (should be ok) American range is a very basic product, pretty much a commercial range toned down and insulated. Ummm, basic is the key word here...commercial cooks turn ovens to 500* and time by wall clocks. Commercial bakers have convection and steam ovens now.

Both Wolf and Viking have come in for their share of attacks, and yet there are many satisfied customers out there (I'm one.) The real issue is don't by a range because you like the looks, but by how it operates. Does it work for the way you cook?

1) are you preheating the for the 1/2 hour required. 2) are you keeping the burners clean 3) are you familiar with rack placement recommnedation? etc 4) very even heat cooks differently than the average American oven which has up to 80* range of temp as it heats and cools during normal cycles. etc 5) are your pots and pans appropriate for the cooking surface and btus of the range. etc

My sis loves her Fridgidaire glass top convection range. Cost 8-10 times less than my Wolf which intimidates her. We both turn out fine meals. To each his/her own.