Wonder if Burner is Putting off adequate heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. It sounds like there's a problem. It might well be simple poor design. If it's the burner under the pot of water that's overheating the sides and back panel, that's not right and could indeed be a burner that's too far from the pot bottom, allowing the heat to flow out of the burner area.

Not that it matters, but I have a GE Profile running on propane. The back right burner is a "simmer" burner, meaning it's smaller than the others. But even on that one, I have to use a "flame tamer" type heat defuser (two layers of perforated metal) to keep the lowest setting from too vigorous boiling of something like rice. It will boil water okay. Just takes a while because of its size. And none of my burners seriously affect any area beyond the burner, except that it has iron grates, and some heat transfers along them.

I went back and took a look at some user reviews of Fridgidaire. I kind of remember now why I didn't buy one. It's not that their review numbers are worse. No maker gets good numbers on home ranges anymore. It's that Fridgidaire users were reporting strange things, like burning oven insulation, as well as the warning about getting the range body too hot. I went with GE, because the complaints were more mundane, like the oven vent melting the burner knobs off. (I avoided that model.)

But the state of the industry was obviously such that I took some care about buying it where I could dump it back on the store if it was badly designed. But I have come to believe that buying a range without overwhelmingly good user reviews for that particular model is a crap shoot. I thoroughly wrung my GE out in the first ten days to make sure it didn't have any obvious quirks. I have no hesitation about dumping one back at the store's front door and starting a credit card protest, if necessary.

On reflection, if I was starting over, I think I might bite the bullet and go for Fisher and Paykel. At least it would be a higher class crap shoot.

That part (the heat on the side) is really concerning. Can't see how that could be normal operation. I'll make the call and hope for the best. Just wish it was truly a Frigidaire repair person, but maybe they don't exist anymore.

Thanks.

not sure about the problem with stove, but I do not believe you can bring a big pot of water to a rolling boil with lead open.

Why is it so important to you to be able to bring water to a rolling boil without the lead? Why can'y you do it with lead open and then open the lead to add whatever it is you need to add? Or is there a different reason?

It will boil with the lid on, but will not return to a boil once the lid is removed when there's an amount of water needed for cooking pasta. Will only boil when the volume of water gets lower than 6 or 7 cups. So kind of useless.

It will boil with the lid on, but will not return to a boil once the lid is removed when there's an amount of water needed for cooking pasta. Will only boil when the volume of water gets lower than 6 or 7 cups. So kind of useless.

You really need to have a professional look at that.

I may also be appropriate to get the gas company involved. Natural gas is reduced from service line pressure to about 1/4 pound at the home meter. The idea is to deliver it at just slightly higher pressure than the atmosphere, so it will flow out through the end user device. At that low pressure, small differences matter a lot.

You cannot judge proper adjustment and supply by flame color. A natural gas flame may be blue, but may also be small on account of low supply pressure, restricted supply line, or other restriction in the system. You can adjust for a proper flame for that abnormally low supply and have a nice blue flame, but it's burning an inadequate amount of gas for cooking.

And gas companies are very sensitive to potential problems. They very much try to avoid the bad press of accidents, and they try hard to show their product the equal of electricity. They should come out and check the meter for delivery of proper pressure. And while the lines from the meter into the house and to the range are your problem, they will look at the flame and tell you if it looks correct. If it doesn't, then you can tell the warranty people you've already had the supply checked and that the flame is abnormal. And if the gas company tells you it looks just like the proper flame on all the other ranges, you know you've got a design problem. The gas company may even make adjustments to the range, as needed. Many are very eager to please.

I finally called one of the "Frigidaire Certified" repair shops, who will send someone out tomorrow (so they say). I hope they can address the issues you mention about pressure. I would think they'll have manometry equipment.

I hadn't thought about calling the gas company until you mentioned it. Very interested in the technician's evaluation.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom