"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Internet connected refrigerators, um, no...
But just think. You forgot to take something out to thaw for supper. You can program from work, your fridge to find and toss out the fridge door onto the counter what you want for supper. By the time you remember your forgot to take something out, and the time you remember and then get home, it should be at least almost thawed.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Me too. I have used several electric stoves over the years and never a problem. Why electric stoves in particular?
Reasons I like gas:
Very responsive

Reasons I like electric:
-They get hotter and boil faster (than consumer grade gas)
-Glass tops are a breeze to clean
-Adjustable size burners (on most glass tops)
-very easy to simmer a sauce for hours without burning on to the bottom (heat turns on and off)
-doesn't heat up my small kitchen with an open flame
-won't leak gas and try to kill me in my sleep...

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Huh?

Just a suggestion, but maybe further explanation would help illustrate your point, because I have no idea what your beef is. I've owned an electric stove for about ten years (replaced a gas stove) and have never had any problem with mine. It does exactly what it's designed to do.
My electric range top also does what it is designed to do:

Heat up slowly.
Cool down slowly.
Never reach a high enough temp to do a satisfactory stir fry.

Then some of my personal 'beefs'.

Gas stove tops and electric stove tops are equally hard to clean, in my opinion. (I'm not talking about the smooth/ceramic tops)

It's too easy to put a cloth pad on a burner that is on but not up high enough to show red.

I also can't use a tongs to heat up a single corn tortilla over the flame as I used to do using a gas stove.

When I cook rice I bring the water to a boil, add the rice, give it a couple of stirs and wait for the boil to come back and then, uncovered, wait a while---- usually a couple or more minutes. The I put the cover back on, turn the heat down to simmer or low, walk away and come back in 15 minutes to very nicely cooked rice.

That's how I did it with gas stoves. With an electric, I have to turn on a second burner to simmer or low when I start to cook so I can immediately transfer the rice pan to the simmer coil which has finally come to the right temp.

The same with a dish that has to be at a full boil first then has to go to simmer right away. Two burners needed.
O.K. ---- so no big deal? Right, but just another reason I don't like electric ranges.

I may not be a world class chef, but have you ever seen Rachael Ray or Bobby Flay cook on an electric range? I wanna be like them (in my dreams).

So, as you so eloquently put it----- that's "my beef".

For all who own electric ranges and like them---- good for you. I've made my statement and I stick by it.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #24
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
It's too easy to put a cloth pad on a burner that is on but not up high enough to show red.

I also can't use a tongs to heat up a single corn tortilla over the flame as I used to do using a gas stove.

When I cook rice I bring the water to a boil, add the rice, give it a couple of stirs and wait for the boil to come back and then, uncovered, wait a while---- usually a couple or more minutes. The I put the cover back on, turn the heat down to simmer or low, walk away and come back in 15 minutes to very nicely cooked rice.

That's how I did it with gas stoves. With an electric, I have to turn on a second burner to simmer or low when I start to cook so I can immediately transfer the rice pan to the simmer coil which has finally come to the right temp.

The same with a dish that has to be at a full boil first then has to go to simmer right away. Two burners needed.
O.K. ---- so no big deal? Right, but just another reason I don't like electric ranges.
I have none of these problems with my stove.

To address a few of your points...

First of all, a cloth pad or towel doesn't belong on ANY stove. That's just dangerous.

Tortillas? That's not too difficult. I simply heat up a cast iron skillet on the stove top and throw the tortillas in there for a few seconds on each side. Works like a charm.

Stir fries. Never had a problem with those, either. And we eat them quite a bit. The only trick is to use a skillet that conducts heat well. I have a La Creuset Kadai (purchased in the UK) that gets extremely hot and does the job well. A standard wok just simply doesn't work well on electric surfaces. I'd argue that it only works marginally better on a home gas stove without some sort of heat ring to set it on. Commercial Chinese restaurants have high BTU gas burners that are designed for wok use. Most homes don't.

I don't really understand your rice argument, or why one would use two burners. That makes no sense. When I make rice, I turn it on high heat. As soon as I see the start of a simmer, I turn the heat down as low as it will go and cover the pot. The rice is fluffy and ready to eat in 15 minutes. No different than gas, other than you have to sort of "anticipate" the boil just a bit.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
I have none of these problems with my stove.

First of all, a cloth pad or towel doesn't belong on any stove.

Tortillas? That's not too difficult. I simply heat up a cast iron skillet on the stove top and throw the tortillas in there for a few seconds on each side. Works like a charm.

Stir fries. Never had a problem with those, either. And we eat them quite a bit. The only trick is to use a skillet that conducts heat well. I have a La Creuset Kadai (purchased in the UK) that gets extremely hot and does the job well. A standard wok just simply doesn't work well on electric surfaces. I'd argue that it only works marginally better on a home gas stove without some sort of heat ring to set it on. Commercial Chinese restaurants have high BTU gas burners that are designed for wok use. Most homes don't.

I don't really understand your rice argument, or why one would use two burners. That makes no sense. When I make rice, I turn it on high heat. As soon as I see the start of a simmer, I turn the heat down as low as it will go and cover the pot. The rice is fluffy and ready to eat in 15 minutes. No different than gas, other than you have to sort of "anticipate" the boil just a bit.
I've noted your reasons for preferring an electric stove. Thanks for your contribution.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
My electric range top also does what it is designed to do:

Heat up slowly.
Cool down slowly.
Never reach a high enough temp to do a satisfactory stir fry.

Then some of my personal 'beefs'.

Gas stove tops and electric stove tops are equally hard to clean, in my opinion. (I'm not talking about the smooth/ceramic tops)

I may not be a world class chef, but have you ever seen Rachael Ray or Bobby Flay cook on an electric range? I wanna be like them (in my dreams).

So, as you so eloquently put it----- that's "my beef".

For all who own electric ranges and like them---- good for you. I've made my statement and I stick by it.
Then you had a terrible electric.

Most electrics get hotter than home grade gas cook tops, according to consumer reports testing of many cook tops. Both my old coil from my last apartment (GE) and my current glass top (Samsung) get hot enough for a ripping, smoke pouring sear.

I've never heard of anyone going through such an ordeal to cook rice. Rice cookers themselves are electric.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

If you've 'always' cooked on a gas stove, you have to learn how to use an electric stove because of its different heating and cooling characteristics.

If you've'always' cooked on an electric stove, you have to learn how to use a gas stove because of its different heating and cooling characteristics.

We're all more comfortable with the familiar.

I don't care for electric and do pretty well on a gas stove. My sister swears by her electric stove and cooks some fantastic meals with it.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
That's pretty much how I cook rice. I have taken to giving the rice a quick saute in olive oil until some of the grains look chalky white, then add the water which quickly comes to a boil, lid on 15 minutes of cooking on low. For me this method works well.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #29
Master Chef

I detest electric stoves but that doesn't matter to anyone but me.

For those of you who like them, I have one question.

Have you ever seen a professional cooking demonstration with an electric stove?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #30
Head Chef

My apology to the OP (BakedPotato) for this digression from your question which I unwittingly contributed to by expressing a 'not so great' answer to your original question.

I'll now stand mute on this digression but if I can think of a single appliance that I use that I hate----- I'll post it.

Tags
appliances