"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #51
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Clark Howard taught me a valuable lesson on purchasing appliances.

Never buy the newest, unproven, must have, highly expensive model.
Buy something the the company has made thousands and thousands of.
The reasoning is price for one and if they made that many particular appliances, the kinks have all been worked out long before you became their test subject.
Good advice! That's so true with many things, and not just appliances. How about smart phones and software and downloads? The same rule should apply... do your best to make sure the bugs are all worked out first. 🌹

Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #52
Head Chef

Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Clark Howard taught me a valuable lesson on purchasing appliances.

Never buy the newest, unproven, must have, highly expensive model.
Buy something the the company has made thousands and thousands of.
The reasoning is price for one and if they made that many particular appliances, the kinks have all been worked out long before you became their test subject.

Good advice! That's so true with many things, and not just appliances. How about smart phones and software and downloads? The same rule should apply... do your best to make sure the bugs are all worked out first. ��

Old 06-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I agree completely. My current washing machine is an older style with knobs, it swishes the clothes around in soap, rinses and spins. As long as they're still available, my next one will be too. I see absolutely no need for one with an onboard computer that can and will eventually fail. I don't need a front loader where I keep needing to clean the seal of mildew, and god forbid you close the door and grow a mold farm in there.

This is from someone who loves technology, but doesn't need it everywhere. Internet connected refrigerators, um, no...
I too appreciate technology. I however prefer to buy appliances that are proven winners. Consumer Reports is a very good tool when you are going to make this type of investment.
You can get a month internet subscription for $5.99. I did this when my wife was looking at new cars.
It was worth the $5.99.

Its not like it was before where you had to buy a whole year subscription. When you need an appliance, go to their web site and get an account.
Once your shopping and purchase has been made or you have all the info you need, you can cancel the internet subscription.
You can always open it back up again next time you need to check on something.
This is only one of several ways to make certain your purchase is a good, reliable choice.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
Good advice! That's so true with many things, and not just appliances. How about smart phones and software and downloads? The same rule should apply... do your best to make sure the bugs are all worked out first.
Yes, that does apply to many things, not just appliances.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #55
Sous Chef

Dear Front-Loading Washing Machine,

You miserable cur! You leak, you don't drain properly, your spin cycle is a joke and you simply LIED to me about all your wonderful features. I haven't had this much trouble from certain relatives!

Apparently your stupid warranty is worthless, too. I've had a bunch of people out here to fix your sorry butt, and of course, you refuse to live up to your promises STILL.

I'm done with you. Tomorrow I'm getting a top-loader again, and I'm sending your rotten carcass to my sister. She's always wanted one like you.

And by the way, I don't like her, either. Have a nice life.

How's that? That happened last summer, lol!
Old 06-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #56
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

You miserable cur! You leak, you don't drain properly, your spin cycle is a joke and you simply LIED to me about all your wonderful features. I haven't had this much trouble from certain relatives!

Apparently your stupid warranty is worthless, too. I've had a bunch of people out here to fix your sorry butt, and of course, you refuse to live up to your promises STILL.

I'm done with you. Tomorrow I'm getting a top-loader again, and I'm sending your rotten carcass to my sister. She's always wanted one like you.

hahahaa! this is too awesome!
Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #57
Head Chef

Quote:

Just curious, what brand? We love our LG high efficiency front loader.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:

Yep. Those $2000 washers are all the rage. Just making my point one more time.

Whats the brand and the model number so other people do not fall for this scam you fell for.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My mom has one of those top load "super efficient" Whirlpool washers, ones without a center spindle. My boss has one too. They both have trouble with "off" smelling clothes, I noticed it too. It's like the clothes were left to get sour in the washer, even though they were taken out immediately, but not quite as strong.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #60
Master Chef

They use less water but these new energy efficient washers take twice as long to wash a load of laundry. The sensors take too long to 'read' the size and balance of the load at every cycle. Late night, I'd like to do the wash and put the load into the dryer and go to bed. Now, I have to wait an hour for the dumb washer to do its thing.

Tags
appliances