You were right about the food processor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Cuisinart is over 25 years old!!!!! I hope it lasts awhile longer!

I LOVE my fp!!! I use it for lots of things already mentioned but I also use it for Gazpacho - though I mostly use my KA meat grinder for that now - the FP works great too!

I'll just list what I normally use it for:

pesto
ham salad
basil oil that I use for salads (basil, garlic, kosher salt, olive oil - keep it no more than 2 weeks because of the garlic and keep it in the fridge)
breadcrumbs
aioli
blending some soups to thicken them if you don't have a blender wand
vinaigrettes

Gosh, I'm too excited for you to think right now - - - - and I'm too tired.

I had that same jaw-drop moment when I sliced 15 lbs. of potatoes! And I swear, my first thought was "I really owe June big time for convincing me I need one of these".

+1 on the ham salad!:chef: One of my favorite things, for sure. When I was Sous Chef of a hotel/restaurant I used the trusty Robot-Coupe R2 to make both ham salad & egg salad. And so many more things: dressings, pesto, crushed macadamia nuts, deviled eggs, bread crumbs, whipped cream, flavored cream cheeses, compound butters, filling for twice baked potatoes, chopped bacon...

Eventually I'll find a decent deal on a used R2 on Ebay.

I love my MagiMix and will miss her when we move! I'll have to buy a new food processor when we get home, it's the most amazing kitchen appliance!!

What's wrong with the Magimix?
Not one thing is wrong with her Corey, but we are moving from the UK back to the US. I'm not buying a converter just to use her there!

I'm selling her before I move and will buy a new FP when we get home. ;)

Oh. Just realised that you live in the UK.

Yeah, converters ARE needed over there to run appliances. That same machine is sold here at Chefscatalog.com.

Wow, this thread got me thinking my food processor. It was the first small appliance I had to talk my husband into letting me purchase right after we bought our first house (14 years ago). Money was tight but I really wanted one. I think it was a Christmas/birthday present. That baby is still cranking today! I've used it for pie crusts, dumpling wraps, salsa, hummus, sauces, chopping, sometimes milling oatmeal, and a few other things that I can't think of at the moment. My MIL already put dibs on it if I ever decide to replace it with a newer model. Hmm, she'll have to wait a long time...

..... My MIL already put dibs on it if I ever decide to replace it with a newer model. Hmm, she'll have to wait a long time...
You know, I have one of those "sinking feelings" that our vintage fp's will outlive some of the current new models. Things don't seem to be made to last any more. My Cuisinart, in 1984, came with a 30 year warranty on the motor! Glad I haven't had to see whether they will still honor that! :ohmy:

I had a Farberware for years until it conked out. One of my fave recipes I used the FP was for carrot cake. I used it for so many things... i.e.

Veggie stir frys, Cheesecake (graham cracker crust & cheese mixture), Potato or zuke pancakes, chopped onions & put them in a freezer bag to grab for recipes as needed, crepe batter, guacamole, stuffed mushrooms, tomato sauce, gazpacho, egg or tuna salad, cream soups (broc etc).... Pretty much anything you can chop or slice, you can use the FP for. It had a pretty good run, but took up too much space for my small kitchen. I have a magic bullet, still sitting on a shelf, but want to get around to making a few smoothies. Have fun with it; and if you can hunt down a recipe booklet you'll find tons of ideas.

My mother in law got hers in early 60th, when she got maried, so one of the first things we got for a present was FP, 11 cusinart, I have upgraded to 14 cups few years ago and love it.

Corazon, you can get all the pesto out without crumbs, if you want to.... after you've scraped out all you think you can get, put the bowl back on the base, replace the metal blade, lock the lid in place and hit the pulse about three times. When you open the lid, you'll find the remaining pesto/duxelles/hummos/whatever clinging to the sides of the bowl, where you can scrape it into the waiting container. (another tip from a former "food processor teacher!") :chef:
Thanks! That is a good tip. I do like my pesto breadcrumbs though. :) it will be handy for everything else I make.

Thanks so much for the tips, everyone. Oh my gosh, I have so many things to try. Gazpacho, pesto, mayo, salsa, hummus, bacon bits - the list is getting very long. The ham salad was something I never would have thought of and it was fantastic - the kids loved it. I really can't tell you how much I appreciate having this place to come to for help in the kitchen.

Thanks so much for the tips, everyone. Oh my gosh, I have so many things to try. Gazpacho, pesto, mayo, salsa, hummus, bacon bits - the list is getting very long. The ham salad was something I never would have thought of and it was fantastic - the kids loved it. I really can't tell you how much I appreciate having this place to come to for help in the kitchen.

Isn't it great to have a new toy and information to know how to use it?

Before long you will shoot anyone who entertains the notion of separating you from your food processor.:LOL:

Keep on having fun and use it in good health.

I use my FP for a multitude of things but what I really like it for is grating horse radish.
I can leave the cover on till the fumes die down >:)

My very old Cuisinart died, recently and DH surprised me with a KA Professional Food Processor. It's really quite large, but has smaller bowls to do things like chop herbs, etc. I am really just getting used to it, but so far, so good. I sure hope I like it as much as my old FP.

redkitty,
Magimix sells their stuff here in USA, I am sure you can get a model with the appropriate voltage in Europe (if they are less expensive).

I feel ashamed by reading all these notes...
I own a Kitchen Aid food processor, the wide mouth 12-cup bowl 760 and is still on the box, never used it. I got it on a clearance sale for $99 but never had the need since I am limited with my countertop space. I guess I need to make some room in my kitchen LOL

Back
Top Bottom