"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Executive Chef

You were right about the food processor

Here's another huge thing I've learned here at DC. I kept reading about how so many of you depend upon your food processors (especially you, ChefJune). I thought, what's the deal? I have good knives now, thanks to all of you. Wouldn't this be just one more thing to clean? But I decided to take the plunge and bought one.

Wow! I'm shocked! The first thing I did was slice 15 lbs. of potatoes for mashed potatoes. Not only was it soooo much faster, but the potatoes got done so much faster because the slices were thin and uniform. Then, I shredded a bunch of carrots for just a simple carrot salad. It was unbelievably fast and no scraped knuckles like when I used a grater. Amazing! Tonight, I'm going to try making french fried sweet potatoes. I gotta say, this thing is fantastic.

If anyone would like to chime in about the things they use their food processor for, I'd love some suggestions.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Guess who's coming to dinner? Haha!!

Ok, if you don't have a meat grinder, you new toy will suffice nicely. Grating parm? No problem! Salad dressings and mayo? Piece of cake! Kneading dough? Easy. Mincing garlic? Simple.

I also use it for pesto sauce, chopping whole canned tomatoes for spaghetti sauce and marinara. You can even make batter for cheesecakes and whip cream with it. The possibilities are endless!

Old 03-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I love using it to slice consistent and even slices of potatoes or cukes or things like that. I also use it to shred cheese. I do not use mine very often, but when I use it I find it invaluable.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Cabbage Slaw....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I love using my food processor to make pastry/pie crust dough. Sooo easy and quick.

Also, to make cleaning easy, I keep an empty plastic pill bottle or 35mm plastic film canister to put over the center hole so I can fill the processor bowl with hot soapy water and not have it leak out while it's soaking.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
Guess who's coming to dinner? Haha!!

Ok, if you don't have a meat grinder, you new toy will suffice nicely. Grating parm? No problem! Salad dressings and mayo? Piece of cake! Kneading dough? Easy. Mincing garlic? Simple.

I also use it for pesto sauce, chopping whole canned tomatoes for spaghetti sauce and marinara. You can even make batter for cheesecakes and whip cream with it. The possibilities are endless!
I'd be honored to have you, Corey! And thanks for your tips. I have a question though - what discs or blades do you use for whipping cream or making mayo? And do you use the blade thing for grinding meat? The owners manual was not particularly detailed.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I love using my food processor to make pastry/pie crust dough. Sooo easy and quick.

Also, to make cleaning easy, I keep an empty plastic pill bottle or 35mm plastic film canister to put over the center hole so I can fill the processor bowl with hot soapy water and not have it leak out while it's soaking.
That's on my list for sure, Katie. I have never made my own pie crust before but I will now. I love the tip about soaking the bowl. I'll be looking for the perfect little bottle today.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I'd be honored to have you, Corey! And thanks for your tips. I have a question though - what discs or blades do you use for whipping cream or making mayo? And do you use the blade thing for grinding meat? The owners manual was not particularly detailed.
Metal blade for mayonnaise. for whipping cream, you will have to go over to ebay and try to find the now extinct whisk. I have whipped lots of cream and egg whites with that little sucker!

Yes, you use the metal blade and the pulsing action for chopping meats.

Did you buy a Cuisinart? The owner's manual for mine has TONS of info. (oops, I forgot! Mine is 24 years old. different owner then)

PS. I used to do 4-hour demos without washing the workbowl. One of these days, I will have to post how.... but "breadcrumbs" is a magic word.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Cabbage Slaw....
Uncle Bob, I have never forgotten the day I was making cole slaw at a demo in Boston, and a man stood there with his mouth open just watching me for the longest time. Finally after I had put the slaw in a bowl, he said, "I guess I need one of those. I make 50 pounds of cabbage into sauerkraut for Christmas every year, and so far I do it all by hand." (It was my turn to have my jaw drop. I replied, "I don't think I would consider doing it any other way than this!" 50] pounds! Yikes!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Metal blade for mayonnaise. for whipping cream, you will have to go over to ebay and try to find the now extinct whisk. I have whipped lots of cream and egg whites with that little sucker!

Yes, you use the metal blade and the pulsing action for chopping meats.

Did you buy a Cuisinart? The owner's manual for mine has TONS of info. (oops, I forgot! Mine is 24 years old. different owner then)

PS. I used to do 4-hour demos without washing the workbowl. One of these days, I will have to post how.... but "breadcrumbs" is a magic word.
No, I didn't get a Cuisinart. I didn't know if I would use it enough so I got a Kenmore Elite on ebay for $60 shipped. It's has a 14 cup bowl, a 600 watt motor and it came with 6 grating/slicing/julienne discs, a dough blade and a metal blade. No whisk. (Of course, I'm hooked now so if I burn out this machine because it's of lesser quality, I'll be getting a Cuisinart I'm sure. ) But the manual is very, very basic. I forgot that I also made fresh breadcrumbs for stuffed shrimp the day I got it and they were amazing! And I did notice the bowl was very clean after using it. Hmmmm - maybe I need to make breadcrumbs after every use?