"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

i could not be happier Tom. It does a perfect job on every type of rice I have tried, long, med, and short grains. I have a risotto recipe for the rice cooker and it makes the best risotto I have ever had. You would never in a million years know it came out of a rice cooker and not from continual stirring over the stove.

i would absolutely still recommend this rice cooker if you have the money to spend. It is possibly the best kitchen appliance I have ever bought.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #32
Senior Cook

I'm using it tonight

GB,

I requested & got the rice cooker you recommended, and I could not be happier with its performance.

Thank you for posting your experience.

Tom

Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

That is great news Tom. You will find you use it a ton. Enjoy it!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Is it possible to cook beans in one? I received one as a gift and heard that if you pre-soak the beans (pinto in my case) in advance, they should cook....Has anybody tried this?
Old 05-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #35
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Asmodean Send a message via Skype™ to Asmodean
Not yet but I plan on it!!! I am going to university next year and will be purchasing a 3cup model of a zojirushi rice cooker for myself. I eat so many different types of grains that I will be experimenting with them all using the rice cooker.

Zojirushi
Old 05-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #36
Head Chef

I have 3 rice cookers - a Tiger from my college days that I still use for road trips, a National that I use every day at home, and a Zojirushi (translated "sign of the elephant") when I need more control to slow cook grains, including chilli with beans and porridge. "Sweet rice" is a common Asian preparation of cooking rice in a liquid of soy, sugar, and other condiments. Because of the sugar and its propensity to burn, the setting requires a period of warming to allow the liquid to soak into the grain, and then a very quick heat to boil and shut-off. Next time you go for a Chinese dim-sum lunch, wait for the cart that serves "sticky rice wrapped in banana leaf" for one version of this sweetend rice preparation. Rice cookers have come a long way since my boy scout days when I listened to a pot on a fire with a piece of wooden stick stuck in my ear...
Old 06-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #37
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
i could not be happier Tom. It does a perfect job on every type of rice I have tried, long, med, and short grains. I have a risotto recipe for the rice cooker and it makes the best risotto I have ever had.
Can you share this recipe...

We just got a Zoji and have been really impressed so far. We should have purchased one years ago...
Old 06-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech View Post
Can you share this recipe...
With pleasure. The only thing I ask in return is that you post after you make it to let me know how you liked it

Risotto Milanese for the Rice Cooker

3 cups chicken stock
pinch of saffron threads
1 TBSP EVOO
1 TBSP butter
3/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup plus 2 TBSP med-grain rice (if doubling recipe then 2 and 1/4 cups rice)

To Finish
1 TBSP butter
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Crush the saffron into a cup of stock and heat. Let sit while preparing the rest of the dish.

Set rice cooker on Quick Cook or reg cycle and add butter and EVOO. When butter melts add onions. Cook until soft, stirring a few times.

Add wine and cook for another minute.

Add rice and cook until each grain only has a small white spot in the center, stirring occasionally. If you double the recipe then be patient as this step can take a while.

Add the stock and stir. Close the cover and reset the rice cooker for the Porridge cycle. It is possible that the unit might not turn on correctly at this point. If that happens then it is because the unit is too hot. Take the bowl out and let it cool for 5-10 minutes and try starting it again. I have had to do this every time I have made this, but eventually it works. When the cycle ends stir the rice and add the butter and cheese. Season to taste. Serve immediately.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #39
Cook

Thank you...
We have the ghetto LAC05 that doesn't have a "Porridge" cycle...any thoughts on what to try?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #40
Chief Eating Officer

I think the porridge cycle is just a little longer than the regular cycle so try picking your longest cooking cycle, whatever that happens to be and taste when it is done. if it is not cooked enough then turn it on again and check every 10 minutes or so until done. You might need to play with it a few times to get it right, so you might want to skip the saffron until you get the technique right so you don't waste money. I have made it without saffron and it will not make a huge difference. It is better with it, but it is still delicious without.