"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
In my 27 years I have never tried Velveeta. Am I missing out on something awesome?
I'm gonna say most people would say no but I still like it

Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
In my 27 years I have never tried Velveeta. Am I missing out on something awesome?
I never intentionally eat it. I really dislike the flavour. It isn't even cheese. It's a "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product" according to Kraft, which makes it.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Ok. I have had velveta and I like it. No it isn't real cheese, but it has it's place at my table.

Funny thing is...I have never tried Spam. Don't think I want to.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal
Yes.

Can of Rotel, some low sodium Velveeta, nuke, stir, nuke. Enjoy with just about anything. Tostitos are good, Fritos are awesome! Leftovers are nice in soups, though we rarely have any leftovers.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I put Velveeta in the same class as Cheese Whiz....something I don't keep on hand or want to eat.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #26
Master Chef

I have always been amazed and amused that Velveeta turns up frequently in Amish recipes and cook books. It is sort of like better living through chemistry meets the simple life. Go figure!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #27
Head Chef

I cleaned out all mind about years ago. Gave most to the daughter, but the left over ones I took to my sisters garage sale set up a table and put free on them. I had this elderly man come up and was going through them. I remember he said, his wife had just past a month before and now he has to learn how to cook, he said his daughter would cook for him, but the dog was getting to fat and he would have to learn if he wanted to eat. He told me all the things he acomplished and he was so proud. I gave him alot of ideas and he wrote down in a little notebook he had in his pocket. He took a couple of my books, and asked me if he could have my number. I knew who he was as he was a local person but yet I didnt know him. He called me one day to thank me and said maybe it wasn't a good idea as his daughter shows up for supper all the time now. he said he was baking cookies now and just acomplish lasagna and had the family over for sunday dinner. He was 84 at the time, He just past on about a month ago at 96 and was still very active.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I cleaned out all mind about years ago. Gave most to the daughter, but the left over ones I took to my sisters garage sale set up a table and put free on them. I had this elderly man come up and was going through them. I remember he said, his wife had just past a month before and now he has to learn how to cook, he said his daughter would cook for him, but the dog was getting to fat and he would have to learn if he wanted to eat. He told me all the things he acomplished and he was so proud. I gave him alot of ideas and he wrote down in a little notebook he had in his pocket. He took a couple of my books, and asked me if he could have my number. I knew who he was as he was a local person but yet I didnt know him. He called me one day to thank me and said maybe it wasn't a good idea as his daughter shows up for supper all the time now. he said he was baking cookies now and just acomplish lasagna and had the family over for sunday dinner. He was 84 at the time, He just past on about a month ago at 96 and was still very active.

How nice. I have a soft spot for the elderly. You can learn alot from them.
That is such a cute story. It gave me a chuckle, especially the part about the dog getting fat, lol.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
How very sweet. His family probably thinks of you as an in his life.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
I have a big hunk of velveeta in my refrig and I have no idea what to do with it. I was thinking my picky child will surely like something smothered in processed cheese. Not going to lie though, I like the stuff. I am also a fan of Kraft Mac and Cheese, I prefer it over home cooked.
I'm going to have to pick up some of the KD to try. I've never eaten it.

When I make my own Mac and Cheese, I use Velveeta. I think of it as pure junk food, but very tasty.

Tags
cookbooks