"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Sous Chef

200 Best Panini Recipes

Just got 200 Best Panini Recipes by Tiffany Collins. Some very good ideas for sandwiches in this book. Great if you have a panini press, grill or a heavy cast iron skillet. Looking through, some of the recipes seem to be repeated or rather, use the same ingredients in different ways. Maybe it's really only 100 best panini's. Some original ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert paninis. The South of the Border Turkey Panini was delicious. Gonna try some others next week.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Thanks for the review Chef M. I think sandwiches are one of Nature's Perfect Foods. Sandwiches may merit their own Food Group.

Anyway, you just gave me an idea. I have a kind of large round flat cast iron pan. It has a small lip on it, like a griddle. Don't know where I got it or for how long it's been hiding. Pulled it out of the bottom of the storage drawer underneath the oven one day. It is perfect for grillled sandwiches, pancakes, french toast, anything that won't run too much, so eggs, but maybe not scramble eggs, etc. I'm thinking I should measure/ and see if it fits inside another fry pan. If so, maybe I should heat it, then set it on top of a sandwich that is grilling in a fry pan and set it using the underside to sizzle across the top of a sandwich which would provide weight and heat at the same time. I could still set a foil wrapped brick on top if it wasn't heavy enough. It is fairly substantial in its own right.

The downside, is I'm not sure I want to have it get butter / oil on the underneath side and subsequently have it meet the burner again and I already have the top nicely seasoned. So, probably not a grilled cheese, but a pressed Cubano would be terrific. Hmmm? ... Definitely
Mmm...

Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Thanks for the review Chef M. I think sandwiches are one of Nature's Perfect Foods. Sandwiches may merit their own Food Group.

Anyway, you just gave me an idea. I have a kind of large round flat cast iron pan. It has a small lip on it, like a griddle. Don't know where I got it or for how long it's been hiding. Pulled it out of the bottom of the storage drawer underneath the oven one day. It is perfect for grillled sandwiches, pancakes, french toast, anything that won't run too much, so eggs, but maybe not scramble eggs, etc. I'm thinking I should measure/ and see if it fits inside another fry pan. If so, maybe I should heat it, then set it on top of a sandwich that is grilling in a fry pan and set it using the underside to sizzle across the top of a sandwich which would provide weight and heat at the same time. I could still set a foil wrapped brick on top if it wasn't heavy enough. It is fairly substantial in its own right.

The downside, is I'm not sure I want to have it get butter / oil on the underneath side and subsequently have it meet the burner again and I already have the top nicely seasoned. So, probably not a grilled cheese, but a pressed Cubano would be terrific. Hmmm? ... Definitely
Mmm...
Good ideas Whiskadoodle. I used to do something similar only not with a skillet. I would just set a plate on top of the sandwich and add some weight, then flip it over to finish the other side. I did recently purcha$e the Breville $mart GriLL which I love. I am grilling a lot lately. It as not cheap and more than I wanted to spend, but I think it will be worthwhile, built like it will last forever if taken care of properly and I sure am using it.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Cheers for letting us know about this book Chef, sounds good!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef

A brick wrapped in HD aluminum foil works well. We have a press though. Can't make a really great Cuban sammy with out one. There are so many great sandwiches that can be made with a press!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The brick is a great idea Craig, nice one
Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
The brick is a great idea Craig, nice one
What! No chicken under a brick in OZ? Never been to OZ, but I have been to Devonport in the land of the Kiwi!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks! Looking forward to your posts on paninis--although I don't eat bread very often and rarely eat sandwiches. I have a panini press, as well as a bacon press, several CI pans, and could definitely cover a brick or two with foil!