Advice on "Chinese cooking 101" cookbooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diverse379

Assistant Cook
I have bought my first wok
I have no idea what to do

I have seen a few cookbooks on amazon
that look promising

I am looking for the cook in a hurry
little experience necessary variety of cook books

I don't wok but from what I understand it's a lot of prep and short cooking. The key is to slice and cube all the ingredients ahead of time so all you do is dump them in the wok in order of longest cook time to shortest. Can't give you any recommendations for cookbooks. I'm sure some here will be able to help since many members enjoy Asian cooking.

Also wanted to mention... I have been experimenting with their citrus ponzu. So far, I have been very pleased. Have your mise en place (everything chopped & ready to go), and the rest is a snap.

Last edited:
Here's a discussion we did recently on stir-fry cooking: ISO Asian stir fry type recipe

This was my first Asian cookbook other than a really complicated one my BIL gave me years ago: Stir-Fry Recipes I love it. It has a lot of simple recipes and tips for stir-frying technique, ingredient combinations, and substitutes.

I also find this a great site for recipes and inspiration: SteamyKitchen.com Hth.

Breath of the wok is good.

Stir frying to the sky's edge is a good.

Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking is great but goes into very deep into detail. A lot of the recipes are for someone with lots of time.

These three books have helped me.

Those are nice sites, thanks everyone. I started out with Martin Yan's, Yan Can Cook book many years ago! His cooking show aired on our local public station. Thanks to him I have several woks, bamboo steamers, too many Asian cookbooks and know where all of the Asian markets are in my area!

The secret to Chinese cooking is to cut all of the pieces into uniform size, so they will cook to the same degree in the same time. The sauce is extremely important in stir frying. The sauces combine with the oil to both cook the food and then keep it warm while it is on the plate.

...and also the oil helps the spices stick to the food....so whatever you do, do not skimp on the oil or the soy sauce used in cooking the food.

Back
Top Bottom