American Cookbook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Everyone,
Nice to see everyone loving cookbooks.:chef: May I ask a question please? Myself and three other writers are working on a cookbook with a patriotic theme, (kind of celebrating America's cultural diversity through food.) We plan to represent every state with a food indigenous to its area. We will also include the stories behind the food, a bit of history and personal experience from the family or establishment.

May I ask, does this sound appetizing to you all? Any suggestions?
Thank you all very much for any input, I appreciate your help,
Lisa :-p

Hey Lisa, I would be interested in buying that kind of cookbook as I always like to know the history behind each dish I prepare. OK, I'll be honest, I just like learning trivia about everything so your cookbook would be right up my alley even though I'm Canadian.

Lisa I think that is a great idea - receipes for all over the United States.

Please let me know when it is completed. Good luck!

Lisa,
Your idea, it's just the kind of thing I'd buy for myself and my daughters. Go for it and the best of luck.
kadesma:)

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite cookbooks is from Better Home and Gardens called "Heritage of America Cookbook". It's a coffee table size book with sections divided into seven US regions. Each section contains a history and description of that area's cuisine, and historical and regional comments on each of the recipes. I would be very interested in a book that elaborated or clarified the subject.

Thanks for your post.

Thank you everyone!:angel: It's so nice to hear your ideas and to see we are on the right track so far. I will look into the "Heritage of America Cookbook" as well and see how we might elaborate -Thank you for the tip.

I will also keep everyone updated on progress and questions, (would love to include some of you in the book too).
Thanks for your well wishes!
Much appreciated,
Lisa

Aunt Lisa's Kitchen said:
Hi Everyone,
Nice to see everyone loving cookbooks.:chef: May I ask a question please? Myself and three other writers are working on a cookbook with a patriotic theme, (kind of celebrating America's cultural diversity through food.) We plan to represent every state with a food indigenous to its area. We will also include the stories behind the food, a bit of history and personal experience from the family or establishment.

May I ask, does this sound appetizing to you all? Any suggestions?
Thank you all very much for any input, I appreciate your help,
Lisa :-p
Might be a good idea to research the market before you get in too deep. There have definitely been other books in the same style written before, tho I'm not sure how recently. It's getting harder and harder for "unknowns" to get a book published, and more and more publishers are
only looking for odd little niche topics that have not been "done to death."

It would be really sad to put a great book together and then have it be unsaleable! :ohmy:

and yes, I think the idea has merit, but I don't know the market.

One year -- about 20 years ago or so -- Avon put out a cookbook that took one recipe from a saleswomen from each state and country where they had them at the time. Something typical to the area. I think it is a great idea (hey, it put me back on to making tourtiere since it was representative of the Quebec area). Let us know how things progress.

Skilletlicker, I have that cookbook and I love it. I've made something from all sections of the book. One of the best coffeecakes I've ever made came from that book.

Well Folks,
I am embarking on this project as part of a writing class I am in. All of the students are working on a nonfiction book (may or may not get published). We were allowed to choose any topic, my partner and I chose a cookbook.

Actually - a treasury of the American spirit celebrated through food. So far, the research has been delicious! And by delicious, I mean heartwarming as well as tasty. America has a great history of food, but it really is the people that make it special. I feel lucky, so far, just to meet some of them (even only on the internet).

Thanks so much!!!! It's such a pleasure to be part of this site, so many of you have been so helpful with this project and well, just plain ol' cooking questions! Happy Turkey leftovers to all!:ROFLMAO:

Aunt Lisa's Kitchen said:
Well Folks,
I am embarking on this project as part of a writing class I am in. All of the students are working on a nonfiction book (may or may not get published). We were allowed to choose any topic, my partner and I chose a cookbook.

Actually - a treasury of the American spirit celebrated through food. So far, the research has been delicious! And by delicious, I mean heartwarming as well as tasty. America has a great history of food, but it really is the people that make it special. I feel lucky, so far, just to meet some of them (even only on the internet).

Thanks so much!!!! It's such a pleasure to be part of this site, so many of you have been so helpful with this project and well, just plain ol' cooking questions! Happy Turkey leftovers to all!:ROFLMAO:
As others have pointed out, it is a popular niche. I can certainly attest to that, as I tend to gravitate toward books of that type. I just took a look and quickly counted 15 that might fit that label.

But whether or not your book goes beyond the classroom stage, it sounds as if you're enjoying the research. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom