America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I still don't understand StirBlue. Why would you not consider the ATK book and everyday cookbook?

If i had to guess, GB, it would be because of the amount of time you would have to invest in a recipe in the ATK book. (I have never read/seen one myself so this is only a guess)

The magazine is decent. It is at least worth picking up a copy to see if you would want to subscribe.

So I guess you are not going to answer my question about why you would you not consider the ATK book an everyday cookbook LOL.

Last edited:
I am thinking about using the ATK cookbook for everyday. I think it may improve my cooking interest. Sometimes I can get very bored with my own cooking.

Thanks for sharing the photo's

Veloce said:
It seems to me that there are basically two kinds of cookbooks: the ones you use when you know what you want to make but don't know how to make it, and the ones you use when you're trying to decide what to make. Joy of Cooking is an example of the former. My current favorite is Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. Most of the "celebrity" cookbooks and cookbooks based on television programs are in the latter category. Some that I particularly like are by Jeff Smith, the Two Fat Ladies, Jacques Pépin, Nigella Lawson and Jamie Oliver.

I agree. I just received the Jacques Pepin book that mostly shows skills and such, but shows alot of recepies as well. I perfer a book like this compared to "just a cookbook" because I get an education along with a recepie. This book will only provide single dishes, so you have to combine recepies to your taste....which I like. Pepin is an excellent chef with very unique and quick ideas. Just my 2 cents.

Also, I love watching ATK show, but everything I have cooked came out .....lets just say, not the greatest. I do like the reviews, bu the recepies need some tweaking.

Last edited:
Jeekinz said:
Also, I love watching ATK show, but everything I have cooked came out .....lets just say, not the greatest. I do like the reviews, bu the recepies need some tweaking.

I've had the same experience with some of the recipes. The show and the magazine are good sources of info about equipment, ingredients and processes, provided that I remember that it's just their opinion. I've come to rely on other sources for the actual recipes.

Back
Top Bottom