"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
The thing I like about the ATK cookbooks (no, I don't agree with all of the recipes) is the explanation of the steps they went through to reach their final recipe. You can learn a lot from that. I have a couple of their books - don't agree with everything ... but I've learned a lot that I can apply to other dishes.
I don't think I agree with everything in any cookbook. ;) Recipes that include explanations, variations, and substitutions really do provide a great deal of incredibly useful knowledge. I find that now I can lose a recipe or forget to buy some critical ingredient and still pull off a tasty meal.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

It's not that I trust ATK with my cookware selection. They pointed me in a direction that I have then followed up with additional research on this discussion board and others. Their cookbook did the same thing: give me a direction that I also do more research on.
But your comment is well noted.

m

Old 12-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemack
It's not that I trust ATK with my cookware selection. They pointed me in a direction that I have then followed up with additional research on this discussion board and others. Their cookbook did the same thing: give me a direction that I also do more research on.
But your comment is well noted.
Did you say something about trusting ATK regarding cookware? If so, I missed it. My opinion is that you should look at the book and see if it calls to you. I'm personally not that enamored with the whole "testing" format when it comes to cookbooks or magazines. I tried to love Cooks Illustrated; I really did. But I just became increasingly annoyed with the minutiae. I'm just more interested in the end result, I guess.

That said, it is a gift, and perhaps you shouldn't look it in the mouth, as they say.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:08 PM   #14
Head Chef

Obviously not an everyday cookbook but maybe a good reference guide. You're only going to find a few good recipes in any cookbook but you'll go back and reread them occassionally if only looking for an idea. Cookbooks like Betty Crocker, Joy of Cooking, etc, you will use all the time.
If you really do not want the cookbook and not sure what to get, return it for store credit to use later. Nobody needs a white elephant taking over the kitchen.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Obviously not an everyday cookbook but maybe a good reference guide.
Can you expound on this a bit more? Why would you think this is not an everyday cookbook?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #16
Cook

It seems to me that there are basically two kinds of cookbooks: the ones you use when you know what you want to make but don't know how to make it, and the ones you use when you're trying to decide what to make. Joy of Cooking is an example of the former. My current favorite is Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. Most of the "celebrity" cookbooks and cookbooks based on television programs are in the latter category. Some that I particularly like are by Jeff Smith, the Two Fat Ladies, Jacques Pépin, Nigella Lawson and Jamie Oliver.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #17
Master Chef

As a cookbook "collector" (Lord, I must have several hundred by now), my unofficial criteria, regardless of the type of cookbook or its author, is if, after briefly thumbing through it, I find at least 6 recipes that appeal to me, it goes home with me! Lol!!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
As a cookbook "collector" (Lord, I must have several hundred by now), my unofficial criteria, regardless of the type of cookbook or its author, is if, after briefly thumbing through it, I find at least 6 recipes that appeal to me, it goes home with me! Lol!!
You are easy, Breezy.

So let me ask this: Have you ever encountered a cookbook that didn't contain at least six appealing recipes?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #19
Master Chef

Plenty!!! But I couldn't tell you what they were, because I just put them back down & promptly forget about them. There are way too many interesting cookbooks to thumb through & possibly purchase - lol!!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:47 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Can you expound on this a bit more? Why would you think this is not an everyday cookbook?
An everyday cookbook is one that covers Jan 1st - Dec 31st. I have a friend who loves her Campbells Soup cookbook (a thirty page book with menus for cooking with condensed soups). She doesn't use it everyday, only when soup is on sale and she has coupons.

The American Test Kitchen show is entertaining and offers a lot of information. It is always interesting to watch. The ATK cookbook might be the everyday cookbook for a new generation.

I have two microwave cookbooks that are everyday; one is Sunset and the other (more useful) was published by JC Penney.