Amish grandma's cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
My grandma White was Amish, and I dug out her cookbook today. It's called the Inglenook Cookbook, published by the Brethren Publishing house in 1908, and the recipes come from the ladies of the Brethren Church. There are also a lot of handwritten recipes from my grandma, a homemade mother's day card from my dad when he was in the fourth grade, and a picture of his sister in her little middie blouse when she was about 8 yrs. old.

There are a number of interesting old recipes, if anyone is interested.

I wish I knew of some way to preserve this book, as the pages are literally falling apart.

By the way, she married a wild Scots-Irishman, and was shunned by her church and her family.

I'm guessing there is no copyright issue with that one Constance. I say post what looks cool. Just make sure you do some editing on the methods. Although, that might not be necessary. I know in some of my gramma's old cookbooks there was no method on any recipe, just a list of ingredients. If you didn't know what to do with them you were hooped.

Constance, if you have a scanner you can scan each page as a jpg file and save it on your computer or a disc. And then at least you will have an electronic copy. It might take awhile, but it would be worth it. Or you can take it to a copy place like Kinko's and have them do it for you.

Alix, this cookbook is the same...many of the recipes have no method.

Kim reminded me that he had taken photos of recipes in a friend's vintage cookbook, so maybe we can try that. The book was much used, and the paper is literally disintegrating from age. It's so cool to see the notes and recipes in grandma's own writing.

What a find. I wish I had a cookbook from my grandmother but as far as I know she never used one. She had the recipes in her head. My mother and some of her sisters learned many of the dishes she cooked but I don't think they've ever been printed. I have a tea cake recipe that my aunt gave me that she wrote while watching my grandmother make them. I look forward to the recipes you post. I love the Amish way of cooking, but haven't used it myself.

wow - that is an awesome treasure to have Connie. I'd try taking close up pictures of the pages or taking it somewhere and seeing if they can scan the pages (or try to protect the pages with some page protector type sheeting.

I'm excited just hearing about this cookbook. It makes me want to go through the few cookbooks my mom had. I love to look at her handwriting. :heart:

I have discovered that the Inglenook Cookbook is on line at this addy:

Inglenook Cook Book (1906 Elgin, Illinois) Title Page

I also discovered that it was followed by the Granddaughters Inglenook Cookbook in the early 40's, and that one is still in print, so I ordered one from here:

http://www.brethrenpress.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=113

It contains a lot of the old recipes handed down to the granddaughters from their grandmothers, plus newer recipes from the granddaughters themselves. Each recipe is credited to the lady who submitted it.
I love the metal ring binder which allows you to open the book to a certain recipe and turn the book back on itself so your recipe is on top.

By the way, there is a lot of canning info, including some great pickle recipes, but the methods will need to be updated to today's standards.

I heard that one way to preserve old paper is by soaking it in milk of magnesia, then drying it out; it neutralizes the acids in the paper. BUT, I wouldn't try it with an heirloom. You may want to get the special clear protector sheets that many scrapbookers use and put the individual pages in each sleeve. Try a google on book preservation, you might find ideas that way.
Looking forward to seeing the recipes. You could also scan each page and save as pdf's.

Back
Top Bottom