"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #21
Master Chef

Just got "The Dutch Oven Cookbook" (recipes for the Best Pot in your kitchen) Also " Bread, A Baker's book of techniques and recipes" and "Artisan Baking "

Old 04-21-2008, 01:23 AM   #22
Cook

I actually don't have too many cookbooks, but I did just get Veganomicon. I'm not a vegan or even vegetarian, but I have some friends who are they highly recommend it. So I figured it couldn't hurt to have on hand in case I need to feed any of them. I have tried a few recipes so far and they've been pretty good.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:46 AM   #23
Master Chef

The last cookbook I got I didn't buy, it is made up entirely of recipes shared here and already around 50 pages long LOL. It is becoming hard to manage so I need to start cleaning it up and organizing it in a MS Access database.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Nothing new, but some good old ones that are hilarious if you have any experience with european relatives (italian specifically) are by Dom DeLuise. Another is by Sophia Lorene. Dom's stories are what give his simple recipes flavor. One story is funnier than the next. You'll be crying from laughing so hard you won't be able to see the pages.
Go ahead, treat yourself. Enjoy a good light read. You deserve it.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

just got two from the good cook book club. phillsbury best cookies and bars over the years. fun to see what was all the rage at different times.

the other is also phillsbury, and is bake off desserts. lots of pictures and yummy stuff.

babe
Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #26
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I just bough Jamie Oliver's "Cooking with Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook", Tyler Florence's "Tyler's Ultimate", "Cooking with the Two Fat Ladies" and "Two Fat Ladies Ride Again". Jamie's is great. I have made several recipes from there already.

I like cookbooks I can just sit and read and get ideas from and these are good reads.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:25 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
just got two from the good cook book club. phillsbury best cookies and bars over the years. fun to see what was all the rage at different times.

the other is also phillsbury, and is bake off desserts. lots of pictures and yummy stuff.

babe
I'm a member of the same book club, but I rarely buy books from them. I read the reviews and go to Amazon or another discount book place on the Internet and usually get them for half or less of the book club price. Shipping is usually about the same or less the way I buy them.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 AM   #28
Head Chef

Taste of home Baking Book, it is full of good things to bake
Old 04-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I just bough Jamie Oliver's "Cooking with Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook", Tyler Florence's "Tyler's Ultimate", "Cooking with the Two Fat Ladies" and "Two Fat Ladies Ride Again". Jamie's is great. I have made several recipes from there already.

I like cookbooks I can just sit and read and get ideas from and these are good reads.
I've had "Cooking With Jamie" for a couple of months. It's an excellent book for learning how to cook and well as containing some super recipes.

Another good learning book (actually it's almost like a culinary school on paper) is "La Varenne Pratique" by Anne Willan.

If you like southwestern cooking, oh, this is sooooo shameless, check out "Southwest: The Beautiful Cookbook" by Barbara Pool Fenzl.

Barbi was my girlfriend for a year at the U. of Wisconsin.

From the back cover: Barbara Pool Fenzl, C.C.P. (Certified Culinary Professional) is active in many aspects of the culinary world: owner of Les Gourmettes Cooking School in Phoenix, food editor of Southwest Passages, a regional lifestyle magazine, president of the International Association of Culinary Professionals, benefactor and national board member of the American Institute of Wine and Food; member of the James Beard Foundation Restaurant Awards Committee. Ms. Fenzl holds a B.S. and M.A. degrees and is an inductee in the Arizona Culinary Hall of Fame.

Shameless! Yup, that's her picture ripped off the cover.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barbi Pool.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	3802  

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I got so excited about making the NYT bread and pizza dough that I went ahead and bought "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day." I just got it a few days ago, so I haven't made anything from it yet, but it's got about 100 recipes for all kinds of breads. I'm going to need a new fridge for all the dough!