"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I got so excited about making the NYT bread and pizza dough that I went ahead and bought "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day." I just got it a few days ago, so I haven't made anything from it yet, but it's got about 100 recipes for all kinds of breads. I'm going to need a new fridge for all the dough!
I have the same book and have made other breads from it.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I'm a member of the same book club, but I rarely buy books from them. I read the reviews and go to Amazon or another discount book place on the Internet and usually get them for half or less of the book club price. Shipping is usually about the same or less the way I buy them.
the ones i order were for a new member, so only paid one dollar for each. plus shipping. i almost always wait for a sale on sites.

babe

Old 04-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
I need a new cookbook! Anyone want to recommend their favorite Italian one? I have a few on the subject, but only one is well-used (it's from a lady who had a cooking show back in the 70s called "Mama D"); the rest have too much seafood (ick).
Italian Country Table and the Splendid Table by Lynne Rosetto Kasper.

Some teasers
Old 04-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #34
Executive Chef

I need a book on food 'construction'. Something that would teach techniques like what I did to my crab cake. Any ideas?
Old 04-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I need a book on food 'construction'. Something that would teach techniques like what I did to my crab cake. Any ideas?
One of the books I mentioned earlier, here.

La Varenne Pratique by Anne Willan. The complete illustrated cooking course, techniques, ingredients, and tools of classic modern cuisine with more than 2,500 full color photographs.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
One of the books I mentioned earlier, here.

La Varenne Pratique by Anne Willan. The complete illustrated cooking course, techniques, ingredients, and tools of classic modern cuisine with more than 2,500 full color photographs.
How does that book compare to Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
How does that book compare to Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques?
Amazon editorial review:

This massive undertaking is a comprehensive guide to the ingredients and techniques of "classic modern cuisine." There are thousands of photographs--of unusual ingredients, of difficult-to-master techniques, of artful presentations of the recipes included almost as a bonus--and pages of invaluable facts and information. Far more ambitious than the California Culinary Academy's Cooking A to Z ( LJ 2/15/89), this is closer to an expanded version of Jacques Pepin's classics La Methode ( LJ 2/15/80) and La Technique

Buzz
Old 04-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Holy schmolly. La Technique is a different book and presently a collector's item....... big bucks!

Jacques Pepin La Technique the Fundamental Techniques of Cooking: an Illustration Guide (Hardcover - 1976)1 Used & new from $249.99
Old 04-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #39
Master Chef

Just bought "Taste of Home, The Market Fresh Cookbook" at Sam's for $9.88. It is filled with over 300 delicious garden fresh recipes. It also has 13 recipes using rhubarb. My favorite.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #40
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Holy schmolly. La Technique is a different book and presently a collector's item....... big bucks!

Jacques Pepin La Technique the Fundamental Techniques of Cooking: an Illustration Guide (Hardcover - 1976)1 Used & new from $249.99
Try ebay.. there are 2 copies there up for bid. One for 0.99 and one for 9.00 right now. There are sill days left ont he auction, but I don't think it will get up to $250.