"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #41
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Try ebay.. there are 2 copies there up for bid. One for 0.99 and one for 9.00 right now. There are sill days left ont he auction, but I don't think it will get up to $250.
Looks like the same book although Amazon doesn't have a picture of the dust jacket. It just goes to show you that you never know until you research thoroughly. Example - I recently finished individually ebaying a lot of forty similar Nogent handled carbon steel Sabatier knives from 3.5 to 12". The prices I received ranged from "I lost a few bucks" to "they must be made of money". Life is full of little surprizes.

Buzz

Old 04-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #42
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Looks like the same book although Amazon doesn't have a picture of the dust jacket. It just goes to show you that you never know until you research thoroughly. Example - I recently finished individually ebaying a lot of forty similar Nogent handled carbon steel Sabatier knives from 3.5 to 12". The prices I received ranged from "I lost a few bucks" to "they must be made of money". Life is full of little surprizes.

Buzz
I think a lot of the Amazon New&Used resellers charge far too much. I was looking for one of the Two Fat Ladies cookbook back in December and Amazon had it New&Used for $240. I found it on ebay used but near prefect condition for $14.00.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #43
Master Chef

fabulous 50's recipes.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #44
Assistant Cook

Recently I got several new cookbooks.
I love Lidia's Italian American Kitchen. I got a bunch of the food network stars cookbooks. Paula Deen and her sons, Giada De Laurentiis, Ina Garden, Rachael Ray & Tyler Florence. I got a bread cookbook with DVD called Crust. They came a few days ago so I havent had much time to go through them.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:44 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I think a lot of the Amazon New&Used resellers charge far too much. I was looking for one of the Two Fat Ladies cookbook back in December and Amazon had it New&Used for $240. I found it on ebay used but near prefect condition for $14.00.
I agree - some are really greedy. But, LOL - ya' gotta' shop around! Most of the time I get the best deals off Amazon - but once in a while I have found better deals just by going to Google and typing in the name of the book, or the author's name, and comparing prices. I have only found one book, that I was looking for, on eBay with a better price. But, like the old Smokey Robinson and the Miracles song says:

My mama told me...'you better shop around'
(Shop, shop around) a-whoa-yeah
You better (uh-huh) shop around!
(Shop, shop around)
Uh-uh-uh

Old 05-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I need a book on food 'construction'. Something that would teach techniques like what I did to my crab cake. Any ideas?
If you're interested in different food techniques and presentations, you should pick up the French Laundry cookbook. You'll get a ton of ideas and inspiration from there.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Jeeks, also look into getting "Happy in the Kitchen: The Craft of Cooking, the Art of Eating" by Michel Richard. It's only $30 on Amazon. This book is one of my favorites.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Cool. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #49
Master Chef

I bought 3 books on Bread baking "Local Breads " by Daniel Leader , "Bread Alone" by Daniel Leader & Judith Blahnik " The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart .
Old 05-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Jeekinz,
Ironchef stole my thunder. "Happy in the kitchen" by Michel Richard is a great book, highly recommendable.