"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
Head Chef

ATK Cookbook Sale

America's Test Kitchen has The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2019 on sale for $7.98, plus shipping. Details at

https://slickdeals.net/f/13150126-at...?src=frontpage

I just placed an order for 4 books, totaling $36.75. Pre-coupon order total exceeded $45, so shipping was free. Coupon was applied automatically.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Thanks for the info (not that I really need another CB!). You obviously have some gifts in mind! (Unless you bought 3 other books). Lucky friends!

Old 06-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I'm trying it now...I'll see if it works.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
Sous Chef

It worked, without signing up, as these things often require.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

tenspeed, be sure to read the teeny tiny print on everything regarding your order. From what I remember that has been discussed in the past, once you order a book ATK has its hooks into you. You have to be careful and make sure you aren't automatically signed up for a new book to be sent when they publish it next year.

I also understand the phrase "teeny tiny" applied to the print in the book. You might want to get your cheaters ready if that's the case.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #6
Sous Chef

CG, I looked closely for such things, and found nothing, fortunately, not even one of those things that I often have to un-click, just so I don't get frequent email ads in the future. And the email receipt I got, also had none of that tiny print, though I saved it, just in case! I'm always suspicious of these things, too.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:24 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

pepper, maybe they changed the "rules" after Kimball left for Milk Street. After all, the discussion about books sent annually and tiny print for the recipes was a few years back. Maybe even in dog years.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Old 06-16-2019, 04:27 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
tenspeed, be sure to read the teeny tiny print on everything regarding your order. From what I remember that has been discussed in the past, once you order a book ATK has its hooks into you. You have to be careful and make sure you aren't automatically signed up for a new book to be sent when they publish it next year.

I also understand the phrase "teeny tiny" applied to the print in the book. You might want to get your cheaters ready if that's the case.
I've been using slickdeals for years. A quick scan through the comments will rate the deal, identify any oddities, etc. In this case the free shipping if the pre-coupon totaled $45 was in the comments, which I wouldn't have known otherwise. Their user community is quite good.

Oh, and I don't have three lucky friends. Those are different books, and they are gifts from me to me!
Old 06-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I guess I misunderstood, tenspeed. I thought you bought the books through ATK and their website. They're the ones with the "gotcha" fine print. I'm not much of a shopper for anything, and didn't know about "slickdeals". Not gonna look, not gonna look, not gonna look...

Old 06-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I guess I misunderstood, tenspeed. I thought you bought the books through ATK and their website. They're the ones with the "gotcha" fine print. I'm not much of a shopper for anything, and didn't know about "slickdeals". Not gonna look, not gonna look, not gonna look...
When a deal is listed on slickdeals and you click on the deal, you are redirected to the merchant's site. In this case it was ATK, so I made the purchase directly from ATK. I've found that comments from the user community are highly reliable, and if there was a gotcha, it wouldn't be missed. Not only do they rate the deal, there are also a lot of product ratings and comparisons. Obviously you can't take every opinion as gospel, but I've also learned about differences in features that I wouldn't otherwise know.

It's safe for you to look - this deal is dead. I've also learned that the best deals from internet merchants can be very short lived.

Tags
cook, cookbook