"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Attention, Southern Food Lovers!

I just bought Damon Lee Fowler's books, 'New Southern Baking' and 'New Southern Kitchen'. I had gotten the baking book from the libray, and it was so wonderful, decided I had to have it, then on Amazon when I was ordering, saw the 'cooking' one, so got both! They are absolutely fantastic - traditional 'Southern' ingredients, done up in wonderful new and fresh ways. I highly recommend these!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds like you scored big time. Congrats.

Now the dilemma is, what to cook first!

Old 05-24-2006, 05:54 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Tx Andy - spent last night reading 'New Southern Kitchen'! The intro and forward are great reads, as he 'defines' what southern cooking is, where it came from and how it has evolved over time. The recipes are beautiful, and beautifully simple, too - a la 'Asparagus Shortcake', a savory combo of ham, asparagus and cream served over biscuits.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
They sound wonderful Marm, looks like you found a great pair. What sorts of baked goods do you have your eye on so far?

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Tx Andy - spent last night reading 'New Southern Kitchen'! The intro and forward are great reads, as he 'defines' what southern cooking is, where it came from and how it has evolved over time. The recipes are beautiful, and beautifully simple, too - a la 'Asparagus Shortcake', a savory combo of ham, asparagus and cream served over biscuits.
You'll have to keep us posted on your progress as you cook your way through the books.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:07 AM   #6
Executive Chef

There's a 'brown velvet' cake that's kinda caught my eye. And the biscuits! Pages and pages of biscuits and different cornbread/hoecake recipes!!

I will have to restock my boubon supply, tho - lots of his recipes have a bourbon base in the recipe itself, or the sauce! Not that I mind!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:15 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Thanks for letting us know about these cookbooks- I think I'll take a little surf to amazon and have a look-Thanks again Marm!!!Love and energy, Vicki
Old 07-15-2006, 05:58 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to dollop
Marmalady, I have been thinking about picking up Fowler's, "New Southern Kitchen." It is a beautiful book. How are you progressing with the recipes now?
Old 07-15-2006, 07:02 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I've made 3 or 4 recipes from each of the books, and they all turned out beautifully; the recipes/instructions are well written and easy to follow.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:32 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to dollop
That's always good to hear. Do you feel both books are worth the investment? I have checked out the "New Southern Kitchen" and I find it "true" to the title. Many true Southern recipes, but "lighter" and healthier and his twist to them.

Is it safe to assume that "New Southern Baking" is traditional in nature to the recipe selections? I can't seem to find one to look through...so I assume it is selling fairly well. (I have asked the local library to request a Library Loan to get the chance to look at a copy.)

Thank you for your input!