"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #11
Head Chef

The one I swear by is "Chinese Cookery" by Rose Cheng and Michele Morris. I think it is out of print now though. You might be able to find it on ebay or alibris.com.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
The one I swear by is "Chinese Cookery" by Rose Cheng and Michele Morris. I think it is out of print now though. You might be able to find it on ebay or alibris.com.
Shunka, we always think alike. That's the one I mentioned... I bought it eons ago. Sure you can locate it. That's two votes for Chinese Cookery. Look for the pic of the shrimp and snow peas on the cover. (BTW, that's the recipe I gave grumblebee.)

Old 09-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
Head Chef

Mish, I have had this cookbook for over 26 years, poor thing is kind of falling apart. I have made many of the recipes in it and of course, adjust to our tastes at times. The crab (or shrimp) stuffed chicken wings take time but are so worth it!! We also really like the curried parchment beef; although I do do a quick stir-fry of the beef most times before I make them. Shoot!! now my mouth is watering for those!!! Guess I better make some, lol.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
shrimp and snow peas
I love shrimp and snow peas! Chinese food is always so pretty.....
Old 09-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
Master Chef

Oh - two more that I have & use that have terrific authentic recipes, along with a lot of cultural information & positively GORGEOUS photography are the "Beautiful" series cookbooks - China, The Beautiful Cookbook & Asia, The Beautiful Cookbook.

I've found their Dim Sum & vegetable recipes outstanding, & if you can find them in their original hardcover form (they've been reprinted in softcover), they make fabulous coffee-table books.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #16
Head Chef

ChefJune, I just found out that Nina Simonds is on of the authors of the book I recommend! :-)
Check out the link below. It's a really good book, icing on the cake that it's got great pics too. Figure any recipes that pass by my Dad with a thumbs up is good for me, since we're Chinese and he's REALLY picky about food..:-)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...283155&s=books
Old 09-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Mish, I have had this cookbook for over 26 years, poor thing is kind of falling apart. I have made many of the recipes in it and of course, adjust to our tastes at times. The crab (or shrimp) stuffed chicken wings take time but are so worth it!! We also really like the curried parchment beef; although I do do a quick stir-fry of the beef most times before I make them. Shoot!! now my mouth is watering for those!!! Guess I better make some, lol.
You're making me hungry too.

Shunka, here's our book (1981) on ebay, for under $1.00
Old 09-21-2006, 07:21 PM   #18
Head Chef

Oh wow!!! That is the one!! Darn good price!! BTW, got the beef marinating in the sauce for curried parchment beef now; want to drop in for some? :)
Old 09-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Oh wow!!! That is the one!! Darn good price!! BTW, got the beef marinating in the sauce for curried parchment beef now; want to drop in for some? :)
No regrets. We got our $ worth, for sure.

YUM! I would love to come over with the Mu Shu Chicken (pg 78) and Chicken with Lemon Sauce (pg 79). But, I haven't even started dinner yet. The book is on my dining room table though. Let us know how it turns out.

Just noticed you're not too far from me. Get the wok started, I'll be right over, lol.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #20
Head Chef

Yes, we did get our money's worth with this cookbook. It is the one I always use or use as a reference. My late FIL was from Sumatra and he told me that the recipes in it were spot on. He was a very hard to please percon to cook for; that meant a lot to me. The curried parchment beef always turns out divine!!! Eating one now!!!!