"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Authentic Chinese Cookbook

Can anyone recommend their favorite true chinese cookbook? Looking to add a great book to my collection, wondering which ones you highly esteem. I am only interested in true authentic, not that there's anything wrong with Ming Tsai's East Meets West approach, but thats not what I am looking for. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2006, 01:46 AM   #2
Head Chef

I have a series of three cookbooks called the Pei Mei cookbooks.

Purchased them in Chinese stores in NYC Chinatown many years ago.

Have seen them not too long ago in an Asian store near us.

Went to Amazon, but am having trouble with their website at the moment.

The recipes are good and reliable.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:37 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I swear by Helen Chen's "Chinese Home Cooking" (I think that's the title ...). I've tried any number of recipes within and they're spot on.

She's Joyce Chen's daughter, BTW.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I've got a couple of Ken Hom books that I've had for many years. Have to admit, I've never cooked much from them!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
Cook

tried many of the recipes and they were like Popo's

The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook
by Gloria Bley Miller
1966 Simon and Schuster
First Fireside edition, 1984

isbn 0-671-50993-4 Pbk.

My copy is soft cover but I understand that there is a hard cover. Softcover list price was $20.00.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Master Chef

I probably have at least a dozen Chinese cookbooks, but I have two that I use CONSTANTLY & have never steered me wrong. Every recipe I've tried from these 2 treasures has been delicious. I don't think either of these are currently in print, but you can probably find them at one of the great on-line used & out-of-print booksites (Alibris, Abe, Amazon, etc.).

Madame Chu's Chinese Cooking School, by Grace Zia Chu, published in 1975 by Simon and Schuster.

The Key to Chinese Cooking, by Irene Kuo, published in 1977 by Wings Books, a division of Random House. (This one was particularly recommended as "the most literate, clear, and comprehensive of all the Chinese cookbooks on the market" by James Beard.)

Both of these are definitely worth searching out & using regularly. My copies are positively dogeared now - lol!!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:29 AM   #7
Head Chef

I like The Food of China. I originally bought this book just as eye candy for a coffee table. The pictures in the book are great and I've tried a handful of recipes. The recipe for the steamed turnip/rice cake is very good and tastes exactly like the stuff that comes off of the dim sum cart. I made that dish for my parents and they really enjoyed it. (My parents are always a good gauge for trying Vietnamese/Chinese recipes on.)
Old 09-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I like Nina Simonds' books. I realize she is not Chinese, but she lived and studied there for quite a number of years.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Executive Chef

When I first started out cooking, I bought a Kikkoman soft-cover book. The recipes were easy and gave me a feel for ingredients and method. I then bought a wok and experimented with the recipes that came with the wok. Mostly I made stir frys and won tons (an old recipe that came with my won-ton maker), and embellished as I went along. There are many different cuisines, as I understand it, re 'Chinese' cooking - i.e. Mandarin, Cantonese, etc. BTW, I love Thai food - but re your query, sure it would not fall under authentic 'Chinese'.

A book I like is Chinese Cookery, by Rose Cheng & Michele Morris by HPbooks. I refer to it on occasion, have made a recipe or two, but mostly go by my experience and improvise.

Edited to add: If you're looking for a cookbook to add to your collection, browse around the library first, before you buy to see what appeals to you.

If you are planning on cooking/making the recipes, from my experience, I enjoyed the recipes I made, but since I didn't use the ingredients every day (i.e. oyster sauce, sesame oil, etc.), it sat in the fridge & was dumped.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
Head Chef

Smile

The only cookbook that I have is "The Best Of Chinese Cooking". I am sure everyone at DC will help you - they are wonderful and special people and are all great cooks and chefs.

Good Luck.

Jill and Jolie