Bakewise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
I got this book out of the library because I am hoping to get it for Hannukkah and it is fantastic! I love how she explains the science behind the recipes and how they work.

And, on page 25, she mentions Maida Heatter's "Best Dam [sic.] Lemon Cake" before she gives her recipe for "Take-Your-Breath-Away Lemon Pound Cake". Shirley O refers to Maida Heatter as "the generous, loving great lady of desserts."

Swoon, thud!

Hey, Susan. I don't bake a lot, but I got her "Cookwise" book a few years ago and love it :) Any and all cooking questions answered. I'm sure "Bakewise" is just as good - enjoy and here's hoping you get your own copy soon :)

I really can't wait to see if I get this book for Christmas. I think I am going to have to buy it. I also really want that Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I don't think that I can wait.....it is so hard! Plus, I have a Border's 40% in store coupon burning a whole in my pocket!

Looking forward to Bakewise.

I wasn't that thrilled with the bread I made out of 5 Minutes a day. Wasn't anywhere near as good as NYT, but was much easier.

Bakewise is fantastic!!! I love this book. I love how Shirley teaches about what each ingredient does and all about the different baking techniques. She is amazing. She explains the whys and the hows. I know she is from the South and she claims a sweet tooth, so I do not know how sweet her dessert recipes will be but I am soon going to find out. Her section on bread is fantastic, too! I am so excited for her because after all she has been through, she deserves all this positive attention and financial security. She is a lovely lady.

I just baked the Shirley's magnificant yellow cake. My quest for a wonderful yellow cake is why I bought the book. I am a very experienced baker. The recipe called for a 9 by 2 inch round pan which I used. The cake ran over the top of the pan and unto the bottom of the overn. The recipe called for baking around 40 minutes. At fifty five minutes, a toothpick inserted in center was clean but the top still did not appear solid. I removed it from oven, let it sit pain for 10 minutes but it was raw in the middle. The only thing I omitted was the baking stone. Any ideas why I failed?

Hi Elaine!

Hopefully someone will come by and offer some advice. Being a long holiday weekend it may be Tuesday. I can't even begin to help :blush:

It would help if we could see the recipe.

Also, have you checked the temperature of you oven recently?

I just baked the Shirley's magnificant yellow cake. My quest for a wonderful yellow cake is why I bought the book. I am a very experienced baker. The recipe called for a 9 by 2 inch round pan which I used. The cake ran over the top of the pan and unto the bottom of the overn. The recipe called for baking around 40 minutes. At fifty five minutes, a toothpick inserted in center was clean but the top still did not appear solid. I removed it from oven, let it sit pain for 10 minutes but it was raw in the middle. The only thing I omitted was the baking stone. Any ideas why I failed?

I'm going to suggest you email Shirley. She will be glad to help you overcome these obstacles. She's one of the kindest, most giving persons in our business. :)

...The only thing I omitted was the baking stone. Any ideas why I failed?

Baking the cake directly on a baking stone would have made a significant difference in how fast the cake baked. The hot stone in direct contact with the bottom of the cake pan would have transferred heat to the cake more rapidly than the hot air in the oven.

As Scotch suggested, oven temperature variances would also have an effect.

I agree with Andy. I will also add that the baking stone helps regulate the temperature so there are not as drastic ups and downs with the oven trying to maintain a constant temp.

Shirley might have served home bakers better by commenting on changes necessary when a baking stone is not used. Not having a stone could easily account for the additional time necessary to bake the cake.

Even an oven that shows the correct temperature with the average oven thermometer can routinely cook more slowly than recipes state. My oven will more closely match published times by setting it 10º-15º high, and did not learn the reason why until monitored it with a probe thermometer.

It isn’t my favorite cook book, but “The Kitchen Detective” does contain one illuminating quote from Chris Kimball: “So, just remember one simple rule. Never, ever trust cooking times in a recipe. Don’t trust my recipes, Julia Child’s recipes, or your mother’s recipes. They will almost always be wrong”

Nearly every cake recipe gives alternative signs to a cake being done that are more reliable than the stated time.

Nearly every cake recipe gives alternative signs to a cake being done that are more reliable than the stated time.

...AND, those signs are best learned by "practicing!" Bake a lot of cakes :)pig:) for your family and friends, and you'll soon get the hang of it. :chef:

I rebaked Shirley's yellow cake the next day and used a 9 by 3 inch springform pan and the baking stone. The cake still took close to an hour but was quite good. I would caution anyone baking it not to use the 9 by 2 inch pan.

Back
Top Bottom