"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Head Chef

Bakewise

I got this book out of the library because I am hoping to get it for Hannukkah and it is fantastic! I love how she explains the science behind the recipes and how they work.

And, on page 25, she mentions Maida Heatter's "Best Dam [sic.] Lemon Cake" before she gives her recipe for "Take-Your-Breath-Away Lemon Pound Cake". Shirley O refers to Maida Heatter as "the generous, loving great lady of desserts."

Swoon, thud!

Old 12-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey, Susan. I don't bake a lot, but I got her "Cookwise" book a few years ago and love it Any and all cooking questions answered. I'm sure "Bakewise" is just as good - enjoy and here's hoping you get your own copy soon

Old 12-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Head Chef

I really can't wait to see if I get this book for Christmas. I think I am going to have to buy it. I also really want that Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I don't think that I can wait.....it is so hard! Plus, I have a Border's 40% in store coupon burning a whole in my pocket!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Master Chef

Looking forward to Bakewise.

I wasn't that thrilled with the bread I made out of 5 Minutes a day. Wasn't anywhere near as good as NYT, but was much easier.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Head Chef

Bakewise is fantastic!!! I love this book. I love how Shirley teaches about what each ingredient does and all about the different baking techniques. She is amazing. She explains the whys and the hows. I know she is from the South and she claims a sweet tooth, so I do not know how sweet her dessert recipes will be but I am soon going to find out. Her section on bread is fantastic, too! I am so excited for her because after all she has been through, she deserves all this positive attention and financial security. She is a lovely lady.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

I just baked the Shirley's magnificant yellow cake. My quest for a wonderful yellow cake is why I bought the book. I am a very experienced baker. The recipe called for a 9 by 2 inch round pan which I used. The cake ran over the top of the pan and unto the bottom of the overn. The recipe called for baking around 40 minutes. At fifty five minutes, a toothpick inserted in center was clean but the top still did not appear solid. I removed it from oven, let it sit pain for 10 minutes but it was raw in the middle. The only thing I omitted was the baking stone. Any ideas why I failed?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi Elaine!

Hopefully someone will come by and offer some advice. Being a long holiday weekend it may be Tuesday. I can't even begin to help

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
Head Chef

It would help if we could see the recipe.

Also, have you checked the temperature of you oven recently?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine Schneider View Post
I just baked the Shirley's magnificant yellow cake. My quest for a wonderful yellow cake is why I bought the book. I am a very experienced baker. The recipe called for a 9 by 2 inch round pan which I used. The cake ran over the top of the pan and unto the bottom of the overn. The recipe called for baking around 40 minutes. At fifty five minutes, a toothpick inserted in center was clean but the top still did not appear solid. I removed it from oven, let it sit pain for 10 minutes but it was raw in the middle. The only thing I omitted was the baking stone. Any ideas why I failed?
I'm going to suggest you email Shirley. She will be glad to help you overcome these obstacles. She's one of the kindest, most giving persons in our business.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
Sous Chef

sounds interesting to me too ... what's the exact title and author's name ?