Baking book w/measurements by weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be absolutely accurate in baking, yes, everything is measured by weight - NOT volume.

The solution to your problem is simple - get a kitchen scale. I prefer an electronic one. It cost me about $32.

If you have cookbooks you really like for the recipes, just make notes in the cookbook for the conversions.

It will tell you on the nutrition panel of a bag of flour, for example, how many grams in a 1/4 cup (or some similar conversion). Use that as a basis for doing the math. Once it's done, it's done forever.

Typically, in a cake or bread recipe, some of the smaller measures of ingredients are still by volume, such as teaspoons and fractions thereof.

To be absolutely accurate in baking, yes, everything is measured by weight - NOT volume.

The solution to your problem is simple - get a kitchen scale. I prefer an electronic one. It cost me about $32.

Weight is supposed to be more accurate particularly for measuring flour.

If you have cookbooks you really like for the recipes, just make notes in the cookbook for the conversions.

It will tell you on the nutrition panel of a bag of flour, for example, how many grams in a 1/4 cup (or some similar conversion). Use that as a basis for doing the math. Once it's done, it's done forever.

Typically, in a cake or bread recipe, some of the smaller measures of ingredients are still by volume, such as teaspoons and fractions thereof.
I know .. I have got a scale .. I am looking for recipe baking books that is all in weight.

I know .. I have got a scale .. I am looking for recipe baking books that is all in weight.

I offered my suggestion so you wouldn't have to buy all new books, especially if you really liked the recipes in the ones you have.

If you just want new cookbooks, that's another story and I have no recommendations.

I offered my suggestion so you wouldn't have to buy all new books, especially if you really liked the recipes in the ones you have.

If you just want new cookbooks, that's another story and I have no recommendations.
I haven't baked much from the books I have .. I've really only done some cookies, tweaked the recipe here and there, and converted that to weight.

I'd just be nice to not have to convert/note in my current books to weight.

Do you read any other languages? Most European cookbooks use weight for measuring.
I can read English fairly well :angel:. Good point bout European cookbooks.

I haven't baked much from the books I have .. I've really only done some cookies, tweaked the recipe here and there, and converted that to weight.

I'd just be nice to not have to convert/note in my current books to weight.

I can read English fairly well :angel:. Good point bout European cookbooks.

I wish you luck finding what you want. I'd focus on finding cookbooks with great recipes rather than certain units of measure.

:huh::neutral::ermm: .. I've Googled conversion charts .. but they all seem to have different weights for stuff :wacko:

oh yeah. if you want to start a war, just proffer an opinion on how much a cup of flour weighs.

lard, sugar, salt, water, whatever is reasonably consistent - but not flour. different mills do it different, different 'types' weigh in different (AP, bread, cake, etc) and then there's sifted / non-sifted / packed / scooped / fluffed....

I always buy the same brand of flour - KA Bread flour, Ceresota unbleached AP, Pillsbury cake. from experience I know how it reacts and how much "a cup" weighs. never buy the "store brand" - they get it from the lowest bidder per batch - changes constantly.

also to note, some experimentation and experience required. it is not a reasonable expectation to simply and blindly follow the numbers, temps and times in a baking recipe - especially breads - and think it's gonna work right out of the box.

Buy British!! We don't really 'do' cups over here. Infact when I come across American recipes with cups it's quite an inconvenience because it means I have to dig my cups out of the back of a draw.

Pretty much every baking book I have is in weights rather than cups (with the exception of two which I bought in America.)

The Cake Bible, or just about anything by Rose Levy Beranbaum lists all recipes by both weight and volume.

And she's a very highly respected baker & author. You can't go too far wrong with her books.

:huh::neutral::ermm: .. I've Googled conversion charts .. but they all seem to have different weights for stuff :wacko:

Yup, that's what I found too.

I have started doing my own conversions. I follow a recipe that uses cups and measure it out in cups and then weigh it. If it worked fine, I now have the measurements in grams. Liquids aren't realy a problem, my liquid cup measures all have US cups on one side and ml/litres on the other side.

Back
Top Bottom