BigOven recipe software?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since you can download and try it for free for 30-days ... the best answer I could give would be to download it and try it for 30-days. This will tell you if it does what you want - or if it works the way you want a cooking software to work.

I did download it and I will not be purchasing it. The first recipe I viewed was for Chicken Apple Brie something and the first and only meat it called was for 4 meatballs!

Other recipes I looked at were nearly that unreliable. It's clearly an amature site.

Uninstall time!

I also did the trial for this program. I finally ended up with Living Cookbook. It had more features that i was looking for. Very easy to use.

Yes they have the same free trial.

I did try out several programs before choosing Living Cookbook. The thing that I like about it is that you can capture a reccipe. Their term for copy/paste. Once you are in the capture screen you just highlight each section and tell the program what part of the recipe it is. This sure saves a lot of typing and you are also able to edit from this screen.

I did download it and I will not be purchasing it. The first recipe I viewed was for Chicken Apple Brie something and the first and only meat it called was for 4 meatballs!

You caught us on this one! A test edit to the initial recipe box was accidentally shipped out. We should have caught that one, and will double-check the recipes in the future.

But please also understand that BigOven is, primarily, recipe software plus a gigantic recipe sharing archive. It lets you post recipes to the Internet free, plus photos, ratings, tips and even videos. It automatically links up any recipe you post with a 1,000+ food glossary. It lets you mark favorites, create a try soon queue. It lets you drag and drop recipes to generate a meal plan or grocery shopping list, sorted by aisle. It lets you calculate the nutrition facts for any recipe. You can enter up to 3 ingredients and find out what to make. You can post your recipes online and access them from our iPhone App.

So, all in all, though we don't employ a large food-editorial staff, we are instead about delivering great software for you to keep and manage your own recipes. But we're listening, and will get right on that Apple/Brie recipe you noted -- it's one of 160,000+ available through the software. Thanks!

(For a more detailed review of recipe software, you might want to Google on "best recipe software" for a head-to-head review. We tried to post the link here but the forum wouldn't allow it for new members. Thanks!)

- Steve Murch
Founder & CEO
BigOven.com

A welcome to these forums from down under
- Steve Murch
Founder & CEO
BigOven.com

I find it a bit unusual that a CEO would make a post such as yours in defense of a recipe taken from your website that obviously doesn't work.

I have had a quick look through what you are offering and it is a con, as simple as that
Cheers

I completely agree -- it is unusual!

But please note that I'm not defending the recipe -- it was a mistake. I'm simply explaining that the recipe in question was wrong, and how it happened (we were testing recipe editing in the labs, and that change made it out to production). We recognize it and are fixing this recipe right away.

We do not believe that every recipe is phenomenal. We believe that we are in the business of building a sharing platform, and sharing environment, for those recipes. And the best ones should bubble to the surface over time, as we add further personalization.

One of the great things about the Internet is that you can monitor what customers like and dislike about what you produce, listen, and work to fix it when mistakes happen. We encourage everyone to take a look at the various choices out there -- BigOven isn't right for everyone. But we're now getting several thousand people joining the site each day, so we do think it's resonating with at least a few cooks around the world.

Thanks and have a terrific holiday season!

- Steve Murch
Founder & CEO
BigOven.com

I hope Steve from Big Oven has a look around while he is here so he sees what a real forum looks like. Their so called forums have no trafic.

I have had a look around! It's pretty terrific!

We launched our forums on BigOven.com only a couple months ago, so compared to this terrific site, they are much more sparsely populated. We hope and expect that over time, these forums will continue to grow. We're listening.

Happy cooking!

- Steve Murch
Founder & CEO

Back
Top Bottom