Blurb: Cooking With Science!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait! I didn't know you were going to be able to psycho-analyze us when I told you that I did not like baking! :LOL:

I've already noticed a correlation between Math and English vs Chemistry and Biology...I wonder if Baking and Cooking falls in with my theory...

And I did some Math the other day without taking my shoes off...:rolleyes:

I've already noticed a correlation between Math and English vs Chemistry and Biology...I wonder if Baking and Cooking falls in with my theory...

And I did some Math the other day without taking my shoes off...:rolleyes:

? Like, people who like math like english or people who are good at math aren't good at english? I'd love to hear more about this theory of yours. Oh, and you will have to let me know how that book is!

? Like, people who like math like english or people who are good at math aren't good at english? I'd love to hear more about this theory of yours. Oh, and you will have to let me know how that book is!
It's something that I noticed while in College, folks who did well in Math did well in Chemistry.
I've talked with many people and it holds true, if you do better in Math OR English it falls out that you do better in Chemistry OR Biology.
Math = Chemistry
English = Biology

It doesn't hold if you are good in both.

Antway, I'm thinking Math/Chemistry = Baking and English/Biology = Cooking

I am an English/Biology/Cooking person.

Hmmm, I'm a Math/Computers/English/Biology/Art/Cooking because I'm too lazy to bake type person. I was good at HS chemistry but haven't taken it in college. I wasn't any good at math until I took college algebra and some higher level math classes that taught the why of mathematical methods instead of just asking me to memorize them. I'm really bad at memorizing stuff. I always get told that my brain is backwards because the complex conceptual math is easy for me (I love proofs!) but I still had to look up the quadratic formula before every test and right it at the top of the test right away until I took precalc and learned the why behind it.

Hmmm, I'm a Math/Computers/English/Biology/Art/Cooking because I'm too lazy to bake type person. I was good at HS chemistry but haven't taken it in college. I wasn't any good at math until I took college algebra and some higher level math classes that taught the why of mathematical methods instead of just asking me to memorize them. I'm really bad at memorizing stuff. I always get told that my brain is backwards because the complex conceptual math is easy for me (I love proofs!) but I still had to look up the quadratic formula before every test and right it at the top of the test right away until I took precalc and learned the why behind it.

Huh?!? I did say I hadn't been able to fit those of you oddballs in there who are good at both...:LOL: You think I am joking about the difficulties I have with Math...I was all excited the other day because I subtracted 13 from 105 and got 92...IN MY HEAD!!!! I didn't have to write it down and it only worked because I subtracted 3 from 5 and 10 from 100...to get the correct number...this was a giant leap forward for me.:) Back to my multiplication tables...

There are fast math techniques that teach separating numbers into ones, tens, hundreds, etc. and then adding it all up at the end as a way to do quicker addition and subtraction. I can do up to the hundreds like that sometimes but beyond that I can't remember the ones or tens by the time I finish the thousands.

I should probably also mention that I have ADD and don't take any meds for it, so keeping things in short term memory is a challenge. I'm also not a visual thinker so I have a constant running monologue going in my head and it jumps around a lot. Thoughts are (usually) connected, just sometimes the connections between two thoughts go by quicker than I can conciously process without sorting back through and actively searching my head for the connections. And that's just the internal distractions. Movement, light, sounds and smells can all distract me as well. So, yeah, remembering things short term is sometimes a struggle. And of course things have to stay in short term memory in order to get into long term memory. I could remember the quadratic formula after precalc because I'd learned the process of creating the formula. Knowing the method gave a reason for the different parts of the formula and therefore a connection to each other, which made it easier to remember. If I forgot a part, I just had to go through the process of creating the formula in my head and I could remember it again. I did the same thing with other areas of math and with various areas of programming.

There are fast math techniques that teach separating numbers into ones, tens, hundreds, etc. and then adding it all up at the end as a way to do quicker addition and subtraction. I can do up to the hundreds like that sometimes but beyond that I can't remember the ones or tens by the time I finish the thousands.

I should probably also mention that I have ADD and don't take any meds for it, so keeping things in short term memory is a challenge. I'm also not a visual thinker so I have a constant running monologue going in my head and it jumps around a lot. Thoughts are (usually) connected, just sometimes the connections between two thoughts go by quicker than I can conciously process without sorting back through and actively searching my head for the connections. And that's just the internal distractions. Movement, light, sounds and smells can all distract me as well. So, yeah, remembering things short term is sometimes a struggle. And of course things have to stay in short term memory in order to get into long term memory. I could remember the quadratic formula after precalc because I'd learned the process of creating the formula. Knowing the method gave a reason for the different parts of the formula and therefore a connection to each other, which made it easier to remember. If I forgot a part, I just had to go through the process of creating the formula in my head and I could remember it again. I did the same thing with other areas of math and with various areas of programming.

Hmmm...I see, understand and can replicate the logic and system...then I go home for the night. It's worse if it's the weekend. I think outside the box, only because I can't see the box. Recreating the logic each time is a lengthy process, but if it's something I use all the time, I'm golden. But others don't always see my logic and it's hard to explain myself. I often find myself tongue-tied about how I was able to get the correct answer.

First year of chemistry kicked my humble butt = now, I know why baking intimidates me.

One of the things I like about DC is, when we get questions, "how do I cook...," we have a ton of smart people who not only explain the how? but often, the why? the science.

Just for fun, I have a hypothetical question... Will a computer/software one day be capable of producing an all original recipe - ingredients, and instructions - that tastes fantastic? And, just to make sure it's not a random fluke from a piece of pascal code that even I could probably write, could it create an entire restaurant menu's worth of successfully fantastic original recipes?

First year of chemistry kicked my humble butt = now, I know why baking intimidates me.

One of the things I like about DC is, when we get questions, "how do I cook...," we have a ton of smart people who not only explain the how? but often, the why? the science.

Just for fun, I have a hypothetical question... Will a computer/software one day be capable of producing an all original recipe - ingredients, and instructions - that tastes fantastic? And, just to make sure it's not a random fluke from a piece of pascal code that even I could probably write, could it create an entire restaurant menu's worth of successfully fantastic original recipes?

Hmmm...someone would have to teach it first, it would need an understanding of flavors.

I noticed. The model is obviously not OCD. It looks like the old style guillotine paper cutter I used to use.

I liked these items too:
ThinkGeek :: Good Chemistry Salt & Pepper Shakers
ThinkGeek :: Cheat Sheet Kitchen Apron
ThinkGeek :: Knuckle Pounder Meat Tenderizer

But I really really like this ThinkGeek :: Equal Measure and I'll be adding it to the Christmas/Birthday list. I also like the recipe that's on the page. One of the ingredients is
"1 large gallus domesticus ovum, separated".

LOL!!! I have the S&P shakers and just ordered the Meat Tenderizer, along with some other Geek things. I'm hopeless..., but I had to get Shrek the Guitar Pick Punch.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom