"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Borders closing = great cookbook deals

They have all of their cookbooks on sale at 30% near me. I've picked up "Keys to Good Cooking" by Harold McGee. It's one of those books I always flipped through, but never bought. I will be checking out the store again this weekend, as many classics are there and much cheaper than cover price.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

Sign of the times. I used to go to my local Borders on Sat nites to listen to live music and have coffee at the lounge.
The two closest Borders to me have been closed for months.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Master Chef

I guess it's only a matter of time for Barnes and Noble. It's such a shame when the internet gobbles up employment for so many people.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I think that Barnes and Noble was a little smarter. They jumped on the e-book bandwagon with the Nook, a very nice e-reader.

I can see Barnes and Noble stores getting smaller with e-books gaining popularity though.

The problem with the Border's stores is, just like every other liquidation, is now the stock is owned by liquidators and they set their own prices. Usually the discounts are not as good as they seem, this happened with Circuit City, discounts on jacked up prices.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I may take the drive up to the closest one and see what they have....I think this closing means the closest bookstore to me is now 1.5 hours away.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Sign of the times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It's such a shame when the internet gobbles up employment for so many people.
Hey Kayelle, eventually, Earth will be a global society. It has to happen before we, (the human "we"), can stop wasting so much of our resources and finally work together for our advancement as a species.

The Internet may be the largest single step towards this needed goal, in the history of mankind.

As roadfix said; "It's a sign of the times". Fighting it, or just not adapting to it, is like trying to make the sun not rise tomorrow morning.

A thousand years from now, the deed will be done. Humans will all be a nice medium tan color, speak the same language and not duplicate every single task we take on. We will have one unified leadership for the entire planet and that leadership will be forced to be honest by the people they lead.

What a wonderful concept. The bummer is that many more people will needlessly fall before it's accomplished.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Master Chef

Having said all that Timothy, try and make those lofty thoughts fly to our "here and now folks" without a paycheck. Just sayin'........

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I still prefer a book over a laptop or Kindle... just something so tactile and comforting about a book.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy

Hey Kayelle, eventually, Earth will be a global society. It has to happen before we, (the human "we"), can stop wasting so much of our resources and finally work together for our advancement as a species.

The Internet may be the largest single step towards this needed goal, in the history of mankind.

As roadfix said; "It's a sign of the times". Fighting it, or just not adapting to it, is like trying to make the sun not rise tomorrow morning.

A thousand years from now, the deed will be done. Humans will all be a nice medium tan color, speak the same language and not duplicate every single task we take on. We will have one unified leadership for the entire planet and that leadership will be forced to be honest by the people they lead.

What a wonderful concept. The bummer is that many more people will needlessly fall before it's accomplished.
You have much more faith in humanity than I do. A thousand years ago people were at war. A thousand years before that people were at war. A thousand years before that people were at war. Technological advances only do so much and I just don't know that another thousand years will be enough to end that. Still worth shooting for, just wouldn't be surprised if we missed the target.

As for the internet and ecommerce, I find it bittersweet. There are opportunities available to people who wouldn't otherwise have them, but the loss of jobs is tragic, especially since jobs are already so scarce. A similar thing happened when robotics "invaded" factories and manufacturing. Yes we adapted, but I'm not sure we ever fully recovered. Technology is wonderful but I think we have a long way to go in figuring out how to utilize it responsibly and how to manage consequences of "progress" such as job loss.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I still prefer a book over a laptop or Kindle... just something so tactile and comforting about a book.
Even the smell of a new book is comforting. I like my e-reader, and it serves it purpose, but I will never do away with books.

Tags
cookbook