Brandless.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I hope this is the right forum for this.

I happened on this shopping site called Brandless. They have food (dry goods, canned beans, jarred sauces and dressings, oils and vinegars), kitchen items, and a bunch of other stuff. The prices are what caught my eye, and the fact that all of their foods are non-GMO and organic.

I haven’t ordered anything from them yet, but I thought some of you might like to browse through the site. Let me know what your impressions are if you do!

I happened on this shopping site called Brandless. They have food (dry goods, canned beans, jarred sauces and dressings, oils and vinegars), kitchen items, and a bunch of other stuff. The prices are what caught my eye, and the fact that all of their foods are non-GMO and organic.

I haven’t ordered anything from them yet, but I thought some of you might like to browse through the site. Let me know what your impressions are if you do!
Oh, they’ve also got free shipping for orders over $48, and a portion of their proceeds go to feed hungry people!

I try to avoid products advertised as non-GMO and organic. They're just misleading labels that don't tell you much about the food. Using GMOs, farmers can often reduce pesticide use and increase yields, meaning the method is better for the environment. And every scientific organization that has researched them has found them to be perfectly safe.
FB_IMG_1551204425738.jpg

Last edited:
I try to avoid products advertised as non-GMO and organic. They're just misleading labels that don't tell you much about the food. Using GMOs, farmers can often reduce pesticide use and increase yields, meaning the method is better for the environment. And every scientific organization that has researched them has found them to be perfectly safe.
View attachment 33799
I don’t pay much attention to whether it’s GMO or not, either GG. But if the price is right, I’ll purchase it. And it seems the prices of the food items on Brandless are right, and non-GMO is the only choice.

Have you looked at the website?

View attachment 33799
"Using GMOs, farmers can often reduce pesticide use ..." That may be the case for some varieties. I don't believe that was the intent with "Roundup Ready" seeds, nor do I believe that farmers use less pesticide with those.

I don’t pay much attention to whether it’s GMO or not, either GG. But if the price is right, I’ll purchase it. And it seems the prices of the food items on Brandless are right, and non-GMO is the only choice.

Have you looked at the website?
You said the term non-GMO caught your eye, so... ;)

No, I haven't. Like I said, I avoid manufacturers that use that in their marketing because it's misleading. The fear-mongering about GMOs is making it difficult for farmers around the world to take advantage of a useful technology that can help alleviate hunger. I try not to support that.

"Using GMOs, farmers can often reduce pesticide use ..." That may be the case for some varieties. I don't believe that was the intent with "Roundup Ready" seeds, nor do I believe that farmers use less pesticide with those.
This is a pretty thorough review of the evidence regarding pesticide use, soil health, etc., with the use of Roundup-ready corn and soybeans: http://fafdl.org/blog/2018/11/15/in-praise-of-bt-corn-and-roundup-ready-soybeans/

Here's an excerpt:
The short version: Yes, herbicide use increased as a general trend, but the increase was higher in major non-GE crops like wheat and rice than it was in corn and soybeans. In terms of toxicity, the substitution of glyphosate for other herbicides significantly lowered the toxicity profile of herbicide use in the US, even as the amount of active ingredient increased. That looks like this in corn – total pounds, down slightly, toxicity way down:
Toxicity-Corn-Herbicides.jpeg
Insecticides-way-down-1024x824.jpg
herbicides.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, albeit very long, article GG. Not what I would have guessed.
I'm glad you read it. I follow the group's postings and it's very interesting how little most people really know about farming practices, the problems farmers face and how farming has changed over the past 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom