"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:49 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Htc,

that loaf looks wonderfull. I know what you mean and to me there is nothing as good as a slice of HOT right out of the oven bread..I'd be cutting into that baby with butter right beside...
You mentioned sliceing the bread, that was a pain for me I could never get the slices the same, but i found a wooden box like thing you set the bread into it had slits on the sides that guided your knife, it was a great help..Now, it has dissapeared into DH vast array of things he has fioxed for me!!! You know used them wrong so they are kaput..I'm going toscout around and see if I can find one on the net or in a store like bed bath and beyond...
Emmm you sure did a great job with that bread.
kadesma

Old 12-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #12
Cook

I got this book from the library yesterday pending arrival from Santa Clause. Wow... pretty good book. A very good companion to "Bread Alone".

I do have a question regarding the sourdough section.... Why does he suddenly use yeast? It seems to me that the addition of store bought yeast would make the loaves less... ahh.. sour...

My starters are like he said many are... on the dry side of the spectrum. Has anyone who had typically used dry starters have anything to say when they tried a wet one from this book?

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #13
Cook

Exclamation Ahhh! The answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Schaap
I got this book from the library yesterday pending arrival from Santa Clause. Wow... pretty good book. A very good companion to "Bread Alone".

I do have a question regarding the sourdough section.... Why does he suddenly use yeast? It seems to me that the addition of store bought yeast would make the loaves less... ahh.. sour...
Ah ha! The answer is on page 234:)
He says that the addition of the store yeast will give a primary firmentation of 90 minutes and proofing of 60 minutes. He does say it would be less sour as I figured. Has anyone made the breads both ways to commend?

Michael Schaap
Old 12-24-2005, 05:16 PM   #14
Sous Chef

hi michael

I also have The Bread Bakers Apprentice - I love it!

Once the holidays die down, I wanted to start experimenting with sourdough. BTW, for the price of 2 stamps, you can get about 1 TBS true sourdough starter - click on Carl Griffith's 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Starter for more info. I've done it and eventually you do get the yeast, though you may have to wait several months.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:54 PM   #15
Cook

My inicial sourdough trial

The inicial sourdough did not fair to well. It looked great, but when it came to develope the sourdough before the final dough it died on me for some reason. Not sure... still thinking of it... but but...

I made the italian bread just exactly how he said too and it WAS INCREDIBLE! I can not believe how good this was. I had always had problems with getting a good crust ratio. This was like absolutly perfect. I did it just as he said... with the pan of water on the bottom and spraying the oven... also had a pizza stone.

One thing though.... I let it rise... then he said to be careful with it to not deflate it completely... but it was kinda krusty on top from dryness... had to kneed a bit.... how do you guys deal with this?

Michael Schaap
Old 03-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to sari84
Hi all...
my name is sari,...i'm new here...sounds like this forum is very interesting. Anyway...i'm looking for a japanese cooking book, that specializes on japanese dessert (written in english ofcourse...), does anyone know the name? it's rather hard to find it in my local book store...the ones i see usually only focus on the dishes.