Briefly free recipes from Milk Street

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
I figured I'd make a thread specific to this, for those that want any of these recipes, that are free, even if you don't have the digital subscription. This first one says it's good for 5 more days, and I just got the email yesterday - they used to be good for 2 weeks, but they've shortened it, I guess.

This first one looks good to me, probably due to the habanero! lol Pasta with Sweet Corn, Tomatoes, and Basil. One of those things for the summer, when all of those veggies and basil are available.
https://www.177milkstreet.com/recip...115791025&mc_cid=49d031803a&mc_eid=aa0130ea51

Last edited:
Thanks pepper head, I know you like your curries. I've copied the second one as well, we have lots of cilantro in the garden ATM.

Russ

This one I am definitely making soon! I used to have to wait for sugar snap peas from my garden, but a local produce place has them now! This recipe calls for a lot of basil, and I have a lot of basil in my hydroponics - just trimmed it way back two Sundays ago, and gave it to my cousin, and it's back big time! Soon, planting basils for outside...
Stir-Fried Chicken with Snap Peas and Basil
https://www.177milkstreet.com/recip...115791025&mc_cid=ca1d5ba7c9&mc_eid=aa0130ea51

Last edited:
This one I am definitely making soon! I used to have to wait for sugar snap peas from my garden, but a local produce place has them now! This recipe calls for a lot of basil, and I have a lot of basil in my hydroponics - just trimmed it way back two Sundays ago, and gave it to my cousin, and it's back big time! Soon, planting basils for outside...
Stir-Fried Chicken with Snap Peas and Basil
https://www.177milkstreet.com/recip...115791025&mc_cid=ca1d5ba7c9&mc_eid=aa0130ea51

Thanks Dave, our snap peas were eaten as they grew, by grandkids. That's ok though.

Russ

Just another one of my stupid ideas.

Did anyone get a free copy of the Milk Street magazine? I did. Pirate is a very adventurous eater. Not so me. Some of the recipes looked very interesting, and easy to cook. Pirate would most likely eat the foods that Kimball features. But not me.

At my age, experimenting with new foods and tastes is not such a great idea. It seems that my digestive system can no longer handle seasonings with heat in them. So, I was thinking (Uh oh! Danger, danger!) I could break down one of the recipes for just one person and surprise him.

At my age, experimenting with new foods and tastes is not such a great idea. It seems that my digestive system can no longer handle seasonings with heat in them.
I hope that this never happens to me, as much as I love spices! Some friends have had this happen as they got older, but I've known a few people with older relatives that would eat hotter foods than anyone in the household!:ohmy:

A couple of people I know who either subscribed briefly to Milk Street, or just read mine, said that they did not like it because of all of the unusual ingredients in many of the dishes. I think there was only one item so far that I didn't have, in any of the recipes I wanted to make - one of those middle eastern syrups, though I forget which one.

Last edited:
I hope that this never happens to me, as much as I love spices! Some friends have had this happen as they got older, but I've known a few people with older relatives that would eat hotter foods than anyone in the household!:ohmy:

A couple of people I know who either subscribed briefly to Milk Street, or just read mine, said that they did not like it because of all of the unusual ingredients in many of the dishes. I think there was only one item so far that I didn't have, in any of the recipes I wanted to make - one of those middle eastern syrups, though I forget which one.

Every Sunday night, my second husband and I would settle down to watch our favorite shows. I would place in the oven about six hot Italian sausages. We each got three. Some of the were totally red from all the red pepper in them. And we always had the jar of hot sauce handy.

Not so today. As the kids came along, there wasn't as much hot food being made. And now my tummy is not happy with it at all. Dang!

Last edited:
CD, I subscribe to the digital Milk Street, and once or twice a week they send emails with some recipes, the first one often listed as "free", meaning to anyone who visits the site. I figured that I'd start this thread, and share them, though they are only free for a week to 10 days, from the date posted, which is why I titled it "Briefly Free".

Last edited:
Here is a Combodian recipe that I will try as soon as I begin to harvest green (or actually, purple) beans. I bought some of that Kampot black pepper a while back, and it has a delicious flavor - not as hot as telicherry, but a delicious, slightly sweeter flavor. I use that in my everyday peppermill, though I still use the telicherry in most recipes.
Stir-Fried Black Pepper Chicken with Green Beans

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom