Cast Iron cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3babies

Assistant Cook
I need help finding a decent cookbook for cast iron cooking. Has anyone heard of the "step by step cookbook" by good housekeeping??

That book won't focus on cast iron. I have a few step by step cookbooks and while some cast iron is used, that's not the focus.

I see cast iron cookbooks in sporting good stores. If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse or a Cabelas near by, you'll find some cookbooks devoted to cast iron. You might also try Lodge and Campchef's websites:

www.lodgemfg.com

www.campchef.com

The idos forums discuss the use of the cast iron dutch oven in quite some detail. http://forums.idos.org although they focus on the outdoor use. The recipes work fine on stoves and in standard ovens.

Oh yes, Cee Dub Welch has good cast iron cooking too. Again, focusing on outdoor use, but transfer well too the home. http://www.ceedubs.com/

thymeless

As long as the cast iron is well-seasoned there's really no difference in cooking with it. Caveats: Don't use soap in cast iron and don't soak it or put it in the dishwasher. Rub a little salt in it and wipe it out with a paper towel or a nylon scrubbie if stuff is sticking to the pan. Keep it well oiled. Over the years it will continue to develop a good non-stick surface. I don't recommend cooking eggs in cast iron (the stick factor) and you don't want to cook acidic foods (tomato sauces, for example) in it. But other than that, it's great stuff. Can't make a good pan of cornbread without a trusty 8" cast iron skillet! :chef:

Fraidy

The cast iron I am talking about is enamled. I know I can start a roast on top of the stove and transfer to the oven. I have asked this question before. So farall I have done is cook octopus in a red sauce..cook a lentil stew and have cooked many many onions to mix with veggies. I am using this pan for anything just to use it. It cleans up beautifully. Idon't cook outdoors. Don't like bugs!! Thanks to everyone for your help. I still have not gotten used to posting replys etc.

You don't need a cookbook for it specifically, as others have said. Just use it whenever the size of your completed dish calls for the pan, basically. Enamel cast iron is WONderful for searing meat and then finishing, as in a braise or stew or pot roast. There is no secret to using it.
YOu can make soups in it. You can even make a casserole in it if you want.

Back
Top Bottom