"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
IMHO you can learn something from every single cookbook out there! The best way to decide it to glance through both - - see which one suits you better. Sometimes it's simply in the layout of the book that makes things easier to understand and comprehend. See who has the best fundamental recipes. When I think of fundamentals my "go to" seems to end up Julia, also. I think that's the way our brains work. She was our teacher back when we were just learning and has been embedded in our minds as the go to person.
I'll go with that. Everytime I bought a book without skimming through it, I didn't really like it.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
Master Chef

Julia all the way. martha is not anywhere close to Julia.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
Head Chef

Julia, Julia, Julia
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I have nothing against Martha and I love her decorating books. But I definitely use my Julia Child cookbooks at least weekly whereas I don't find Martha's cookbooks quite as user-friendly.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
Cook

I have read both and before you buy check your library. Most libraries have Julia's cookbook. I just took it out again recently and think it's a better classic TEACHING text. That means she uses terms like master recipe. These are the basic recipes you learn in cooking school and that build technique. Those recipes are a good foundation if you want to learn good technique and see how those branch out into multiple recipes. I think that book gives you more for your money - if you truly look at it as a teaching manual.

Stacy
NY,NY

Well behaved women rarely make history!

or
GuaranteedGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuaranteedGF View Post
I have read both and before you buy check your library. Most libraries have Julia's cookbook. I just took it out again recently and think it's a better classic TEACHING text. That means she uses terms like master recipe. These are the basic recipes you learn in cooking school and that build technique. Those recipes are a good foundation if you want to learn good technique and see how those branch out into multiple recipes. I think that book gives you more for your money - if you truly look at it as a teaching manual.

Stacy
NY,NY
imho, even if you just look at it for the great, well-tested recipes that always work.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #17
Cook

so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
imho, even if you just look at it for the great, well-tested recipes that always work.
June,

Where is "Metro New York"?

I'm in Manhattan, so storage space is an issue - even in a large Pre-war apt. I love cookbooks but rarely use them for recipes - I use them as reference materials.

Stacy

or
Old 01-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #18
Head Chef

Wow. Lots of replies, almost unanimous too. Come to think of it, Julia was 100% into cooking while Martha is into a lot of things. This makes Julia more of the authority on cooking then. The comments on integrity of Julia's recipes is very important to me so it's definitely Julia then.

I watch Martha's shows when I can catch them but I've never seen Julia's shows. They never aired in my part of the world. And this is why I coudn't decide between the 2 books.

My next question is, if I were to choose between 2 of Julia's books, The Art of Mastering French Cooking, and The Way to Cook, which one should I get? Thanks for all the replies!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
Senior Cook

That's easy - JULIA! She taught me how to cook when I was 12 yrs old on PBS.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #20
Cook

The way to cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
My next question is, if I were to choose between 2 of Julia's books, The Art of Mastering French Cooking, and The Way to Cook, which one should I get?
Julia is decidedly French trained - so in both books you'll see the classical nature of French techniques, but I think that The Way to Cook is just a really well done, easy to read and invaluable reference book for all levels of cooks with and without chef training.

As I said, I recently took it out of the library again, which isn't a big deal since I live around the corner from my local branch. I find it's a book that holds up no matter how long you've cooked or baked. But don't buy it for the recipes - buy it for the education!!! Once you've mastered the techniques - you'll just "know" the recipes you want to create!!

Enjoy the journey.

Stacy
NY,NY

or