"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
Head Chef

I have more than 1000 cookbooks, and I don't think a single one of them is by Ms. Stewart -- by choice. Julia all the way!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
no question, Julia! She is the ultimate cooking teacher. and "the Way to Cook" is the best basic book out there, imho.
I agree emphatically. A famous pastry teacher who knows her well once told me that Martha's recipes often don't work and there are lots of mistakes in her books.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

this evening i chose barefoot contessa, saw a show where she did baked shrimp scampi. over the last couple of weeks have tried to email it to myself. a feature of the web site. said it was sent but never got any of them. does she have some kind of a block? went to her site and no luck either, said to buy cook book
what's up with that. i would pick julia i guess, though martha's baking book is very good.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #24
Master Chef

Martha is a very talented lady, and I respect her for her abilities, but...

I love Julia...wish I could have had her in our kitchen cooking with us!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
My next question is, if I were to choose between 2 of Julia's books, The Art of Mastering French Cooking, and The Way to Cook, which one should I get? Thanks for all the replies!
I have them both. The Way To Cook is beautifully done with color photos and more contemporary directions. It's obviously done with a more modern home cook in mind.

However, that being said, when I want a good reference point, I always go first to Mastering the Art. What it lacks in beauty and a bow to modern America, it more than makes up for in detail and technique.

I guess if your goal is to use it for recipes and instruction, go with The Way. But if somewhere in your heart you harbor a secret desire to learn to be the next great chef of your generation, Mastering the Art is the way to go.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #26
Cook

Cookbook Collection Considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post

However, that being said, when I want a good reference point, I always go first to Mastering the Art. What it lacks in beauty and a bow to modern America, it more than makes up for in detail and technique.

I guess if your goal is to use it for recipes and instruction, go with The Way. But if somewhere in your heart you harbor a secret desire to learn to be the next great chef of your generation, Mastering the Art is the way to go.
Point well made! I guess it also depends what other books are in your collection. I have a few text books from school that are more in the style of Master the Art, and they were dry the first time I HAD to study from them! These days I'm strictly a home cook, so I appreciate the more laid back style with the updated info geared towards a home cook and home cooking equipment.

This has been such a fun topic - I'd love to see more of these!! I'm going to have go back and re-read Mastering the Art!

Stacy
NY,NY

Well behaved women rarely make history!

or
GuaranteedGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #27
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuaranteedGF View Post
June,

Where is "Metro New York"?

I'm in Manhattan, so storage space is an issue - even in a large Pre-war apt. I love cookbooks but rarely use them for recipes - I use them as reference materials.

Stacy
I live across the Hudson in the 6th Borough, Jersey City. In a large prewar apartment. With a wall of cookbooks in my dining room. Storage space? what is that?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #28
Cook

Jersey City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I live across the Hudson in the 6th Borough, Jersey City. In a large prewar apartment. With a wall of cookbooks in my dining room. Storage space? what is that?
I grew up in JC - Bidwell Ave and went to school in Bayonne till we moved when I was 8, but I still have family in JC and Bayonne.

Stacy

Well behaved women rarely make history!

or
GuaranteedGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #29
Head Chef

Julia, without a doubt. for one thing, she was a great teacher, and I always liked that she didn't take herself so seriously.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:45 AM   #30
Head Chef

Thanks everyone for helping me arrive at a decision. I'll go with Julia, and The Way to Cook. I'll keep her Mastering The Art in mind for the future, when I do want to 'master' the art...