Choosing between Julia and Martha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have more than 1000 cookbooks, and I don't think a single one of them is by Ms. Stewart -- by choice. Julia all the way!

no question, Julia! She is the ultimate cooking teacher. and "the Way to Cook" is the best basic book out there, imho.

I agree emphatically. A famous pastry teacher who knows her well once told me that Martha's recipes often don't work and there are lots of mistakes in her books.

this evening i chose barefoot contessa, saw a show where she did baked shrimp scampi. over the last couple of weeks have tried to email it to myself. a feature of the web site. said it was sent but never got any of them. does she have some kind of a block? went to her site and no luck either, said to buy cook book
what's up with that. i would pick julia i guess, though martha's baking book is very good.

Martha is a very talented lady, and I respect her for her abilities, but...

I love Julia...wish I could have had her in our kitchen cooking with us!

My next question is, if I were to choose between 2 of Julia's books, The Art of Mastering French Cooking, and The Way to Cook, which one should I get? Thanks for all the replies!

I have them both. The Way To Cook is beautifully done with color photos and more contemporary directions. It's obviously done with a more modern home cook in mind.

However, that being said, when I want a good reference point, I always go first to Mastering the Art. What it lacks in beauty and a bow to modern America, it more than makes up for in detail and technique.

I guess if your goal is to use it for recipes and instruction, go with The Way. But if somewhere in your heart you harbor a secret desire to learn to be the next great chef of your generation, Mastering the Art is the way to go.

Cookbook Collection Considerations

However, that being said, when I want a good reference point, I always go first to Mastering the Art. What it lacks in beauty and a bow to modern America, it more than makes up for in detail and technique.

I guess if your goal is to use it for recipes and instruction, go with The Way. But if somewhere in your heart you harbor a secret desire to learn to be the next great chef of your generation, Mastering the Art is the way to go.

Point well made! I guess it also depends what other books are in your collection. I have a few text books from school that are more in the style of Master the Art, and they were dry the first time I HAD to study from them! These days I'm strictly a home cook, so I appreciate the more laid back style with the updated info geared towards a home cook and home cooking equipment.

This has been such a fun topic - I'd love to see more of these!! I'm going to have go back and re-read Mastering the Art!

Stacy
NY,NY

Last edited:
June,

Where is "Metro New York"?

I'm in Manhattan, so storage space is an issue - even in a large Pre-war apt. I love cookbooks but rarely use them for recipes - I use them as reference materials.

Stacy

I live across the Hudson in the 6th Borough, Jersey City. In a large prewar apartment. With a wall of cookbooks in my dining room. Storage space? what is that? :rolleyes::LOL::wacko:

Jersey City

I live across the Hudson in the 6th Borough, Jersey City. In a large prewar apartment. With a wall of cookbooks in my dining room. Storage space? what is that? :rolleyes::LOL::wacko:

I grew up in JC - Bidwell Ave and went to school in Bayonne till we moved when I was 8, but I still have family in JC and Bayonne.

Stacy

Julia, without a doubt. for one thing, she was a great teacher, and I always liked that she didn't take herself so seriously.

Thanks everyone for helping me arrive at a decision. I'll go with Julia, and The Way to Cook. I'll keep her Mastering The Art in mind for the future, when I do want to 'master' the art...

Keep us posted ....

Thanks everyone for helping me arrive at a decision. I'll go with Julia, and The Way to Cook. I'll keep her Mastering The Art in mind for the future, when I do want to 'master' the art...

I'm sure you'll enjoy the book. Please let us know your thoughts after you've had a chance to digest the information. I'm sure I'm not alone in my excitement over your journey to further your knowledge of the culinary arts.

Wishing you tasty adventures,

Stacy
NY,NY

Back
Top Bottom