"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Sounds good.
I made chreime yesterday. Not from Jerusalem cookbook but from the New Book of Israeli Food by Jana Gur (A great book by the way). It calls for white fish - which I think is traditional. I used Tilapia last time. Chreime is great!!!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Tahini cookies! Thanks for the inspiration. I have been wondering what to do with the balance of a jar that I opened to use some in my hummus at Christmas. I'll give them a try

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Tahini cookies! Thanks for the inspiration. I have been wondering what to do with the balance of a jar that I opened to use some in my hummus at Christmas. I'll give them a try
Off the top of my head that, the open kibbeh used tehina
My jar is empty must buy another (you would think that would be easier to find in Miami)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Forgot to say re the Roast chicken with clementines and fennel, I thought it needed a little longer in the oven, although the chicken was cooked through it could have done with a little more time and the fennel definitely could. Next time I will cook it for longer at a slightly lower heat. It really was delicious though.

Thanks for the tip re the Jana Gur cookbook.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbicacid View Post
Forgot to say re the Roast chicken with clementines and fennel, I thought it needed a little longer in the oven, although the chicken was cooked through it could have done with a little more time and the fennel definitely could. Next time I will cook it for longer at a slightly lower heat. It really was delicious though.

Thanks for the tip re the Jana Gur cookbook.
Thanks. My husband picked that recipe out and the supermarket was out of fennel so I never ended up making it but its on my short list. Will keep your tip in mind
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Little update:
Made the pickled turnips and beets in Jerusalem: they are pickling as we speak
Also made the nutty endive with Roquefort from Plenty: made two substitutions. Used Labne instead of creme fraiche (could not find it) and had no walnuts so used all pine nuts. Even with subs I think this is the most delicious salad in the world.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Hi Siegal - Wow, with that recommendation I just had to put Roquefort on my next shopping list to make that salad.

Aren't those pickled turnips the most amazing colour?

I made the chicken, clementine, arak and fennel dish on Tuesday night for my son and his OH as they had heard me talk about it but hadn't had it. Their verdict - "delicious".

I have bought quite a lot of clementines now to put in the freezer for when they are not available.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I keep trying to make that dish (3rd try) but end up eating all the clementines before I get a chance!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Hi Siegal, I cooked his Shawarna lamb recipe last night
Lamb Shawarma and had it with his roast butternut squash
Ottolenghi’s roast butternut squash and red onion with tahini and za'atar - Telegraph

My guests declared it delicious

Have you cooked anything more from his book lately?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbicacid View Post
Hi Siegal, I cooked his Shawarna lamb recipe last night
Lamb Shawarma and had it with his roast butternut squash
Ottolenghi’s roast butternut squash and red onion with tahini and za'atar - Telegraph

My guests declared it delicious

Have you cooked anything more from his book lately?
Hey! Sorry for late reply but I'm a tax preparer so I've been MIA for a while working 80 hours a week!!! Have barely cooked a thing since early February. Have you made anything new from the world of Ottolengi?? Do you have his self titled cookbook (I guess I would call it that) im thinking of getting it later.

I made the malabi (not sure how he spells it in his book) but tried to make a diet version and not so good. My fault though. Malabi is delicious btw - it's not a normal western food so it may not have caught your eye but its a light rose water scented milk pudding with a syrup and chopped pistachios.

Tags
christmas