"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Christmas present Cookery books.

Did any of you get any for Christmas?

I treated myself to "Jerusalem" by Yotam Ottolenghi as I love his way of cooking. Some really fantastic recipes in it I can't wait to try.

As actual presents I was given "Memories of Gascony" by Pierre Koffman. I don't know if he is known in the U.S.A., but he is famous in the U.K. and has a Michelin starred restaurant in London. Pierre Koffmann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus another U.K. based book "The Good Food Guide recipes" mostly modern chefs' recipe techniques and presentation (including one by Gordon Ramsay and others of his ilk).

I love just browsing good cook books and trying out some of the recipes.

Talking of Yotam, how did you get on with "Plenty" Siegal?

Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Executive Chef

My daughter bought me a Burger book and a Cooking with Beer book. They are more like picture books. I keep them in the bathroom bookshelf for inspiration...lol

Old 12-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

DH bought me "Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round." I've used some of her recipes from her blog; I really like having books, though
Old 12-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

When my visiting nurse informed me that she was unable to accept any gifts, there were no rules that her child could not. We have kept in touch over the years. I gave her daughter about four cookbooks for children. They had quick and easy meals for children to cook on their own. She informed me that years later (10+) they both are still using them for ideas for a quick supper when she is just too tired after working all day. She was also engaged to be married. No rules about wedding presents. I gave her a set of four microplanes with different gratings. Each handle was a different color. I also took four empty paper towel rolls, covered them with kitchen contact paper, sealed off one end so the 'plane wouldn't slide through and gave them also to her. She still has the 'planes and rolls. Those dang 'planes are very sharp and dangerous.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

No cookbooks for me but I gave both daughters the:

How to Cook Everything The Basics: All You Need to Make Great Food -- With 1, 000 Photos: Mark Bittman: 9780470528068: Amazon.com: Books
Old 12-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I gifted myself with a selection of cookbooks from the American Heart and American Diabetes Associations.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I gifted myself with a selection of cookbooks from the American Heart and American Diabetes Associations.
+1 I gave my mom a number of the American Heart Association books years ago. I have my name on them...they are coming home with me someday. The only cookbooks I gave myself this year are those darned e-cookbooks I keep downloading!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Sous Chef

AcerbicAcid, Sorry for the late reply took a bit of a hiatus from the internet.

I liked plenty - but haven't used it that much. Lots of ingredients that I always seem to be missing a few. I have made (maybe with a substitution or two):
The watermelon and feta salad: Yummy
fig, basil, goat cheese salad: AMAZING - made it with balsamic glaze though
Royal Potato Salad: yummy!
Leek fritter: Came out bad BUT probably my fault as I used coconut flour instead of regular so must try it again as it seemed so promising as the filling was good before I ruined it with coconut flour.
Crusted Pumpkin: didn't like so much but I did make a substitute so will try again
Very Full Tart: Not bad. Just alot of work. Not sure if taste was worth it.
Green Couscous: not yummy. I did use less olive oil but I think I overwatered the couscous. May have been cooker error.

I have to make more things but its just hard as my husband hates veggies and dairy so I need to have time to make something so complicated just for me.

I also bought Jerusalem and made:
Hummus: Israeli husband said it was not bad (better than sabra or store bought) but not as good as local Israeli Restaurants. So I will take that as a compliment seeing as I am not Israeli and they are nuts about their hummus. So pretty good
Cannellini Bean and Lamb Soup: AMAZING even though I used beef
Open Kibbeh: Very good. Can't wait to make again
Ka'ach Bilmalch: I liked them a lot, maybe needs a pinch of sugar and a drop less fennel, but I am definitely going to make them again
Tahini cookies: Very very good. They are a less sweet cookie which is exactly what I like. But husband did not love so much as he likes very sweet desserts. But this was my fav cookie I had in a really long time.

What have you made?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Master Chef

Gave out a couple of cookbooks to DD's, and DIL, sold a few of my cookbooks to friends and people they wanted to give cookbooks to.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Senior Cook

From Jerusalem I've made

Roasted butternut squash and red onion with tahini and za'atar. My family and friends really loved it (and my son normally hates veggie dishes!)

I tracked down some freekeh and didn't make his dish but made this one http://foodiejac.com/wp-content/uplo...rsian-Feta.jpg (really gorgeous- I think I've fallen in love with freekeh)

Salmon steaks in chraimah sauce, I enjoyed it but think I will do it with white fish next time.

I really liked the Roasted chicken with clementines and arak, (I used pastis though as didn't want to buy arak when I had some good pastis on the shelf)

I haven't cooked from it as much as I want as I'm also cooking from the Pierre Koffman book and I got the bug that seems to be going around the world so didn't feel like cooking then (a first for me!).

As I live on my own I usually wait for friends/family to come before I do something outside my normal Spanish/Mediterranean/British type food. I'll post on here next time I cook from either, it is really nice to be able to discuss his recipes .

Tags
christmas