Classic Japanese Cookbooks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickeeCoco

Senior Cook
Ok. First things first. I'm a home cook with no formal training, though I do have friends who are chefs and I have gleaned tips and techniques from them over the years. I'd like to think of myself as an advanced home cook, as I'm not deterred by complicated or advanced techniques, and use recipes that require that sort of thing regularly.

So, most of my cooking has been European. What I'd like to start learning about (and experimenting [! one of my favourite things] in the kitchen) is Japanese cooking. Apart from marinating tofu, and making miso soup I don't really know much about cooking this style of food. I'm looking for an informative Japanese cookbook that will not only teach me the basics of the cuisine, but lead me to advanced recipes as well. Something that deals with classic Japanese dishes. Not fusion. Not modern. Just something that is the equivalent of Le Cordon Bleu Complete Cook, but for Japanese cuisine, not French. I'm not afraid to get messy and debone things, butcher things (I recently went to a five course dinner where a butcher taught us how to butcher a pig as we ate), etc.

What I look for in a cookbook:

1. Pictures of every dish.
  2. Glossary of terms.
  3. Technique appendix with picture steps.

My favourite cookbooks (as in the ones with the most dog ears, splashes and broken spines) so you have an idea of the types of things I like:

1. Le Cordon Bleu Complete Cook - eds. Kim Rowney, Jane Price
  2. The New Regional Italian Cookbook - Reinhardt Hess, Cornelia Schinharl, Sabine Salzer
  3. The Philospher's Kitchen: Recipes from Ancient Greece and Rome for the Modern Cook - Francine Segan
  4. The Opera Lover's Cookbook - Francine Segan
  5. Entertaining with Wine: A Cookbook for Wine Lovers - Ruth Ellen Church
  6. Larousse on Cooking - Trans. Zachary R. Townshend

Thank you for any suggestions you may have!

Last edited:
I just enjoy most Japanese cooking, the ingredients and flavors from sushi to steak. Here is a book I think you may enjoy.

img_1424657_0_5e5f770ec002b88c4a898fc0d7b6025d.jpg

Well, I went on to AbeBooks ordered that book above, along with The Joy of Japanese Cooking by Kuwako Takahashi, and Food of Japan by Shirley Booth. We'll see how it goes.

I have one called 'cookingclass japanese' Step by step to perfect results.
It's put out by: 'The Australian Women's Weekly Cookbooks'.
It very well presented. Lots of great photos. Very clear concise recipes.
It's the book on the right side of the Amazon site.Amazon.com: cookingclass japanese women's weekly: Books

Just ordered that one too. Though, I got it for a grand total (including shipping) of $5.75 on AbeBooks rather than Amazon's $179.54. I mean really, what are these sellers thinking?

Last edited:
Just ordered that one too. Though, I got it for a grand total (including shipping) for $5.75 on AbeBooks rather than Amazon's $179.54. I mean really, what are these sellers thinking?
Ya. I have no idea what the sellers are thinking.
I bought my edition about 15 years ago for about $20 CN.
The ISBN number is 186396187-9.
On the back cover the UK price is 5.99.
Anyway I hope you enjoy the book.

Just wanted to update. I've received a few of the books I ordered, but four still have to arrive.

The Japanese Kitchen by Kimiko Barber is really awesome. Not only does it have recipes, but it discusses the history of food in Japan, and for every ingredient that a western person might look at and think, "huh?" there's a full page explaining what its history, how it grows/where its habitat is, appearance and taste, buying and storing, health benefits and culinary uses. I really like it thus far. I haven't tried anything out of it yet, because I actually want to read it from beginning to end to get a fuller understanding of what I'm getting myself into. :)

Thank you salt and pepper for suggesting it.

25c4804b1fe629bdd251904f6bdd93dc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom