"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2015, 06:22 AM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highly educated cook View Post
"How to Cook Everything." It's next to my Joy of cooking. Can one really have too many cook books? I collect ethnic food cook books..too. one from syria, another from India ( friends from these countries give me books..)
I am so glad you mentioned How To Cook Everything. I have heard so many chefs say that every kitchen should have The Joy of Cooking and How To Cook Everything.

I had the original JOC when I got married the first time. It is now in a garage that belongs to my son. He inherited it when his father died.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhayesz View Post
Madhur Jaffrey - Indian cooking - absolute classic
Any time she is on TV, my son Spike sits there like a school boy and drools at the TV. He loves Indian Foods. Something his father taught him to cook. And I can't stand the smell of the spices cooking. I always left the house when my husband was cooking Indian foods. He had two sons that just love it!

Old 03-10-2016, 07:25 AM   #93
Master Chef

This is probably the most disorganized, poorly written cookbook I've ever owned and I recommend it highly!

http://www.amazon.com/Birdwatchers-C.../dp/039333130X

I enjoy the chatty style of the author, her way of approaching the subject of cooking and life in general. I would not pay full price for it but if you see a copy used pick it up and take a look. I have also read her other books and if you enjoy nature, birdwatching, travel etc... you may enjoy them too.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #94
Assistant Cook

My favourites -

Julia Child - everything
Alice Medrich* - Cocolat and Chocolate and the art of low fat cooking (both fabulous!)
Alice Waters - Chez Panisse cookbooks
Jeremiah Towers cookbooks
James McNair cookbooks
Food Lover's Guid to Paris - shops, markets, recipes

Saveur magazine has a cookbook. Lots of terrific recipes.

*I've taken classes given by Alice Medrich - a lovely woman.
profnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #95
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs View Post
Hello forum,

I am looking for some cookbook classics and must-haves, preferably advanced.

My mother likes to cook all kinds of traditional and advanced "solid" dishes (but also complicated cakes and all that, so pretty much everything that's interesting) and she's really good at it. The problem is she keeps seeing these recommended books by random high-profile chefs and she wants to buy them all.

I was hoping that you guys could give some advice and recommend some good solid books.

tl;dr need good cookbooks, not for a beginner

Thank you in advance
Hi there! You canít miss with these!
The Joy of Cooking of course!
Mastering the Art of French Cooking Julia child! Thatís a no brainer! And the two volumes are also a joy to read, even if you have nointention of making the recipe. As you read the commentary, you can hear her voice in your head (or Meryl Streepís voice] as you read.
The Microwave Goumet by Barbara Kafka. This might surprise you a bit, as you said you like complicated, layered recipes. I do too, but Iíve he Microwave is a valuable kitchen tool. And some recipes are ideally suited to microwaves. The only drawback to this book is that itís over a decade old, so it doesnít take into account todayís much more powerful ovens. I hope sheíll revise or update her excellent cookbook.

Any other cookbooks I refer to often are generally specialty cookbooks. Or I just google. Oh, another great recipe resource is http://www.americastestkitchen.com or any of their affiliated websites. It costs a few bucks to subscribe, but itís worth every penny. (And, no, I donít work for them, nor am I being compensated for this plug.)
Old 11-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #96
Sous Chef

Cookbooks or internet?

There really are a lot of recipes that are accesible for free, provided you can access the internet, and are comfortable with browsing and searching and the like. Kindle is a great option too, if you have the app or a Kindle pad; most of the cookbooks on Kindle are relatively inexpensive, and using your tablet in the kitchen while youíre cooking is very convenient (but sometimes dangerous. Make sure to keep it well away from the stove and sink. And puppies.).

But I must admit that there is a certain satisfaction in having that cookbook in your hands, looking at the gravy stains on page 54, or brushing off that dusting of flour from page 132. It evokes memories, and it is somehow comforting and soothing to have an actual book in your hands.

THIS website is also great! Every cook on here is passionate about food, and very generous with their responses. Thereís pretty much a thread for anything you want to research, and itís my experience that my questions are always answered with kindness and valuable information .

Iíve found that used book stores are a great way to find classic cookbooks at a bargain-basement price. Itís particulatly good for finding those lovely coffee table books; both functional and beautiful, they always have stunning photos that lend great presentation ideas if youíre trying something new.i have (somewhere in my packed up boxes) the most remarkable Chinese cookbook. The recipes are superb and easy to follow, but the pics are what prompted me to buy it!
Old 11-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #97
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
This is probably the most disorganized, poorly written cookbook I've ever owned and I recommend it highly!

http://www.amazon.com/Birdwatchers-C.../dp/039333130X

I enjoy the chatty style of the author, her way of approaching the subject of cooking and life in general. I would not pay full price for it but if you see a copy used pick it up and take a look. I have also read her other books and if you enjoy nature, birdwatching, travel etc... you may enjoy them too.
I love cookbooks that are fun and interesting to read, even if I never intend to make any of the recipes!
Old 11-22-2017, 05:48 PM   #98
Assistant Cook

Many thanks to the poster who listed Karen Krasne's cookbooks as favourites!

I have been copying recipes from "Extraordinary Cakes." I got it at the library.

This cookbook is in the same league as Alice Medrich's chocolate cookbooks: highest level!

profnot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cookbook