"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Everything from the last 13 years?????????? Shoot, thats a fantastic deal!!!!!!

Are you sure it has ALL the last 13 years of recipes? Every single one? If so I'll find it difficult to resist buying it.

IMO ATK has had the consistently best recipes of any TV cooking series. I've never had a bum recipe from ATK.
ATK advertises that it has all the recipes, etc. Truth in Advertising must come into play there.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #22
Senior Cook

https://americastestkitchen.buysub.c...eason-bks.html

It does have all 13 years. Not sure how to validate that it is all the recipes, but its over 700 pages. Not to mention it comes with the 2013 series on DVD.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Well what the heck, I just ordered it on Amazon Prime, about $34 including tax. They warned it may take 1-2 extra days (probably due to product demand) but they said I'll have my copy by Friday. (Not sure if the non-PBS version comes with the DVD... Not that I really care.)
Old 08-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #24
Senior Cook

You will enjoy it. I agree that ATK has never failed me except on one thing. You can't make southern cornbread with flour. :) Of course, that is a southern's opinion.

Hal
Old 08-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #25
Senior Cook

This is one (of hundreds) of my most prized cookery books and one I have no hesitation in recommending

La Bonne Cuisine De Madame E. Saint-Ange: The Essential Companion for Authentic French Cooking: Amazon.co.uk: Evelyn Saint-Ange, Paul Aratow: Books - it is a book that Julia Child, Madelaine Kamman and Elizabeth David (and others) read and acknowledged.

The review at the bottom of the Amazon page describes it better than I can
Old 08-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
You will enjoy it. I agree that ATK has never failed me except on one thing. You can't make southern cornbread with flour. :) Of course, that is a southern's opinion.

Hal
I have my own cornbread recipe that far surpasses any cornbread I've ever had. Maybe you can Googe "spoonbread" and find my own recipe. Nope, I'm worse than 20 rank. I need to provide a picture to get into the top 10. You can find my recipe if you add my name to your search criteria.

Amazon shipped my order and said it will be here Friday. I wonder how that interacts with my Prime "guaranteed 2 day delivery." Oh well, it's not like I was going to cook anything from it in the next 2 days......
Old 08-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #27
Executive Chef

I got my copy of the new ATK book today, and I was impressed. If nothing else I can keep it near my front door, and if anybody ever barges in I can smack them up the side of their head and knock them out. The cover says every recipe from 2001 to 2013 (including all the present season). I surely wouldn't pick an argument with them.

Even though I've just thumbed a few pages I'm thrilled with my new cookbook and glad I ot it.

By the way, Amazon got it here within two days of my placing my order, proving again that they honor their Prime agreement. That's why all the free shipping takes a week. All in all I'm pleased by paying to join their Prime membership, and I haven't even used their video streaming yet.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I got my copy of the new ATK book today, and I was impressed. If nothing else I can keep it near my front door, and if anybody ever barges in I can smack them up the side of their head and knock them out. The cover says every recipe from 2001 to 2013 (including all the present season). I surely wouldn't pick an argument with them.

Even though I've just thumbed a few pages I'm thrilled with my new cookbook and glad I ot it.

By the way, Amazon got it here within two days of my placing my order, proving again that they honor their Prime agreement. That's why all the free shipping takes a week. All in all I'm pleased by paying to join their Prime membership, and I haven't even used their video streaming yet.
This is my first year with Prime and I really like it! I do use their streaming on occasion.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I'm sure I'll use their streaming soon.

In the mean time it's worth the premium if you buy from them often, and I often find things I want on their site that I can get PDQ (2 days), enough so that I'm pleased I joined the service.

Looking forward to trying their streaming.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

This is my first year with Prime and I really like it! I do use their streaming on occasion.
Does the Prime streaming use up bandwidth? I get a very limited amount of Gbs through Verizon, and once it's gone I have to pay overage charges.

Tags
cookbook