"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

Does the Prime streaming use up bandwidth? I get a very limited amount of Gbs through Verizon, and once it's gone I have to pay overage charges.
Yeah it's a similar service to Netflix, lots of bandwidth needed.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Yeah it's a similar service to Netflix, lots of bandwidth needed.
Drat. Thanks!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #33
Proud American

I found the version of The Joy Of Cooking of 1961 from a yard sale. I received it for only one dollar.
I love this cookbook! I have made some of the meals from this, and DA likes those well.

~Cat
Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #34
Executive Chef

I have only 4 cookbooks. One is the Betty Crocker cookbook, The Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and one called American Heritage that is full of old recipes from American History. The 4th is from my grandmother. It is a wee tiny little cookbook from 1907. The recipes are fun to read.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I found the version of The Joy Of Cooking of 1961 from a yard sale. I received it for only one dollar.
I love this cookbook! I have made some of the meals from this, and DA likes those well.

~Cat
You got a good deal! (I have a few different editions of JOC).
Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post

~Cat
For many the Joy of Cooking is considered the Cooking Bible every cook should have.

When I got married in 1957, my husband had a copy of the original published one. (JOC) My son now has it. Fortunately he is smart enough to know the value of it.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #37
Executive Chef

When considering Joy of Cooking remember that it preceded the Internet by decades, in fact I think the first edition came out several decades before the Internet became popular. In the '80s JOC was my bible, and even in my technical occupation I didn't discover the Internet until the early '90s, and back then there was little if anything on the Internet related to cooking or recipes.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
When considering Joy of Cooking remember that it preceded the Internet by decades, in fact I think the first edition came out several decades before the Internet became popular. In the '80s JOC was my bible, and even in my technical occupation I didn't discover the Internet until the early '90s, and back then there was little if anything on the Internet related to cooking or recipes.
Greg, I got married in 1956 and my husband who was a pro chef had a copy of the original JOC. Today my son has it. But even then it was considered the Bible of cooking just before Julia's "The Art of French Cooking." The JOC was written for the average housewife, whereas the AFC had sometime two full pages of directions for one simple step. The JOC had the same instructions, but in simpler terms and one paragraph.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

I've just ordered a couple of English classics, one traditional - Dorothy Hartley, Food In England (1954) - and one new, Fergus Henderson, Nose to Tail. There's a lot more to traditional English cookery than just fish and chips or boiled beef and carrots!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #40
Assistant Cook

Here are a few of my must have an go to cookbooks.

America's Test Kitchen - The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook, 2001-2013

Rachael Ray - My Year in Meals

Cooking Light Italian

Rachael Ray - 30 Minute Meals

Tags
cookbook