"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
As a result of what I've read here I went and looked at it on Amazon. It looks like a really good wedding present book. I liked the clarity and the rather chatty, friendly tone of the instructions

And it might be a good one for an elderly Englishwoman who subscribes to an American cooking forum
Sorry "it" was the American Test Kitchen book.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Which edition of JOC would be the best choice if you were only going to have one? I was reading the reviews of them online and now I'm undecided. Some of the reviews of the older editions say that some of the recipes are outdated, such as the directions on how to skin a squirrel. Then some of the reviews of the newer editions say that some of the best recipes from the old book are not in the new book, there are mistakes in the new book, etc.
You mean you don't skin squirrels regularly?

A (very expensive "fashionable") restaurant in London started serving squirrel as a speciality some time ago. Don't know if it still does. Grey squirrels are an artificially introduced species and a pest in Britain and a threat to the red squirrels so anything that predates on them is good.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #53
Assistant Cook

As a lover of spices and curries, I can recommend Camellia Panjabi's book 50 GREAT CURRIES OF INDIA.

http://lisaliaison.blogspot.com/
Lisa Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #54
Executive Chef

I found a 1997 Joy of Cooking online for $.75 plus $3.95 shipping, so I ordered it. At that price, it doesn't matter if I also get the new version somewhere down the line. I just want to have one in my posession. It is being shipped from somewhere in PA and should be here by 1/14/14.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
You mean you don't skin squirrels regularly?

A (very expensive "fashionable") restaurant in London started serving squirrel as a speciality some time ago.
sa

LOL---- We had squirrel for breakfast as a kid on my uncles farm in Missouri. The only 'special' thing about it was my cousin had to go to the woods and shoot them first!

It's delicious.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #56
Sous Chef

I would add Delia Smith's 'Christmas' which is Fab, and anything from Gordon Ramsey that takes your fancy especially for meat dishes. He can be complicated but worth it. Gary Rhodes for excellent British cuisine and 'The Good Cook' by Simon Hopkinson

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
sa

LOL---- We had squirrel for breakfast as a kid on my uncles farm in Missouri. The only 'special' thing about it was my cousin had to go to the woods and shoot them first!

It's delicious.
Never tried it but am tempted to when the one that lives in a tree in my new garden steals the birds' food!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #58
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Sorry "it" was the American Test Kitchen book.
That is a great cookbook. Mine's getting worn out!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #59
Sous Chef

My most worn cook book is a first edition, 2nd printing, of the Betty Crocker cook book. Next most worn is a Better Homes and Garden. I handed off a nearly unused Joy of Cooking to a niece that seemed thrilled to see it on my shelf and can only assume she finds it useful.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #60
Cook

Some great suggestions in this thread. My own bookcase includes several of the aforementioned: Joy of Cooking, plus most books by Delia Smith, Elizabeth David and Marcella Hazan, and Jane Grigson's fish book.

I would also add Rick Stein's Fish and Seafood, and a couple of Jamie Oliver's. Oh...and Robert Carrier's Great Dishes of the World and Pierre Franey's 60-minute Gourmet.

Tags
cookbook