"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #61
Executive Chef

I received my Joy Of Cooking cookbook in the mail today. I think I got a very good deal at $.75 plus $2.95 shipping. There are a few pages that look like they got wet and are a little wrinkled, but otherwise, it's in great condition. I'm going to have to find a very big spot on my bookshelf for it.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I received my Joy Of Cooking cookbook in the mail today. I think I got a very good deal at $.75 plus $2.95 shipping. There are a few pages that look like they got wet and are a little wrinkled, but otherwise, it's in great condition. I'm going to have to find a very big spot on my bookshelf for it.
I'm glad you didn't pay more for it than that. I was so disappointed when I got that one. It sits right next to the previous, 1975 edition and doesn't get used nearly as often. It does have some more modern stuff, which is nice, but it's missing stuff. It doesn't have the wonderful "Know Your Ingredients" section, with loads of useful info. I refer to the 1975 edition as a cooking encyclopedia. The one thing I liked in the 1997 edition is the instructions for roasting poultry. Made the juiciest chicken I ever roasted. Worked well on a turkey at my m-i-l's house too. My b-i-l complained that the breast meat wasn't dry enough.

I don't think most people needed to know how to skin a rabbit, back in 1975, but I was glad of that section when I lived in a log cabin in the late '70s/early '80s. It also has great pix of what the parts of beef or pig are called, as meat, in the US.

I have read that the 2006, 75th Anniversary edition put back some of the missing stuff and is quite good. I haven't had a chance to look at it and decide for myself.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #63
Executive Chef

I didn't know which edition I wanted, but only ordered this one because of the price. I always buy used and never pay much for my cookbooks. I didn't spend so much on this one that it would bother me to shell out money for a different version in the future.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #64
Executive Chef

I think you'll be happy with any edition as long as it's a hard cover, just because it will last longer.

Back before the Internet this book was my Bible. I still value it very much, it's a resource I can go to when I have no more ideas and get tired of Googling and getting too many questions (people asking the same question, usually in forums, usually with no useful answer) and I can go to JOC and look it up and get it right away.

And do not forget Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child. I sure wish I could get a nice copy of Volume 2, but they are very scarce and I'm not even sure what's in it. AFAIK they published very few copies of volume 2.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #65
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I think you'll be happy with any edition as long as it's a hard cover, just because it will last longer.

It is a hard cover and I'm very happy with it, since I've never seen any other edition and have nothing to compare it to. I would buy other editions if the price was right like this one was.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #66
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Sorry the pic was removed, "The Professional Chef" was my pick.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #67
Master Chef

I would appreciate feedback from anyone that has read these two cooking books. I have seen them on the web and am not sure if they have enough useful information in them to deserve a spot on the shelf, Thanks!

An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace by Tamar Adler

The Frugal Cook by Fiona Beckett
Old 12-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #68
Master Chef

I've been reading some of my favorite cookbooks with Christmas sections.

A few of my favorites are.

The Country Kitchen: Della Lutes: 9780814324387: Amazon.com: Books

New England Buttry Shelf Cookbook: Mary Mason Campbell: Amazon.com: Books

The Taste of Country Cooking (Edna Lewis) | Used Books from Thrift Books

Christmas Memories With Recipes (Kitchen Arts & Letters): Maron L. Waxman, Dolores Simon: 9780374123284: Amazon.com: Books

Which cookbooks do you pull off the shelf each Christmas?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #69
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I would appreciate feedback from anyone that has read these two cooking books. I have seen them on the web and am not sure if they have enough useful information in them to deserve a spot on the shelf, Thanks!

An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace by Tamar Adler

The Frugal Cook by Fiona Beckett

While I don't know these cookbooks, I would like to recommend my favorite economical, resource conserving cookbook, "More with Less". It was put out by the Mennonites.

http://www.amazon.com/More---Less-Co...+less+cookbook
Old 12-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #70
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
While I don't know these cookbooks, I would like to recommend my favorite economical, resource conserving cookbook, "More with Less". It was put out by the Mennonites.

More-With-Less Cookbook (World Community Cookbook): HERALD PRESS: 9780836191035: Amazon.com: Books
I agree, it is so much more than a cookbook, I wore out my first paperback and now have a sturdier spiral bound copy.

Tags
cookbook