"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #71
Senior Cook

This turned out to be a highly informative thread on cookbooks. I've added several to my list of "to-get" books. My mom has old copies of The Joy of Cooking and The Fanny Farmer Cookbook, both of which she swears by. I can't wait for the day when these worn-out copies make their way onto my bookshelf... but I think she's holding out for grandchildren.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
This turned out to be a highly informative thread on cookbooks. I've added several to my list of "to-get" books. My mom has old copies of The Joy of Cooking and The Fanny Farmer Cookbook, both of which she swears by. I can't wait for the day when these worn-out copies make their way onto my bookshelf... but I think she's holding out for grandchildren.
We know where my first husband's copy of JOC is and it is a safe place. My son will take possession of it when he is ready. Right now he doesn't feel the need. I just hope there isn't a fight between him and his brother for it.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #73
Executive Chef

Who would ever think 2 guys would fight over a cookbook? LOL

I have to go through my cookbooks and donate some of the ones I no longer want. When I first started collecting them I was buying indiscriminately. Now a cookbook has to have a special reason to be part of my collection.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a problem when it comes to cookbooks...I have more than 1000. When you realize I rarely cook using recipes, that seems a bit ridiculous. I do, however, consult them on a regular basis. Right now, my favourite reference is Professional Cooking by Wayne Gisslen. I picked it up for $2 at a thrift store. I've learned so much from it, not so much about how to cook something, but rather about ingredients, etc. Highly recommend snagging it if you see it at a used book store or thrift store. Prices on the Internet are all over the map.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #75
Executive Chef

Y'know, I can't imagine any amateur chef without a copy of JOC, partially because it was THE BOOK TO HAVE before the Internet.

My personal quest, volume 2 of Julia Child's French Cooking cookbook. Expensive, probably not any essential information, but worth having just for the satisfaction of having both.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Y'know, I can't imagine any amateur chef without a copy of JOC, partially because it was THE BOOK TO HAVE before the Internet.

My personal quest, volume 2 of Julia Child's French Cooking cookbook. Expensive, probably not any essential information, but worth having just for the satisfaction of having both.
Those two are on my shelves. I took JOC a step further--I have two editions--one set is paperback, the other hardback. I do admit I have more cookbooks than a person needs, and I don't count my electronic cookbooks in my collection. I do refer to Julia Child's cookbooks and I like Bittman's "How to Cook Everything." I would be hardpressed to whittle the collection down to 10 or 12 cookbooks. I guess I could do that if I were going to live on a deserted island and could only bring 10-12, but then, if the island were deserted, why would I need cookbooks?
Old 12-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #77
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post

Greg, there are quite a few copies for sale on Half.com in varying condition from new to good, at varying prices.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #78
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Never found the need for JOC, didn't want it to take up real estate on my shelves.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #79
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Never found the need for JOC, didn't want it to take up real estate on my shelves.
Same here, growing up we had a Fanny Farmer cookbook and a dilapidated 1940's Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook, with the thumb hole index in the side. When I started collecting cookbooks I went in search of more interesting and obscure cookbooks. I wish someone in my family would take an interest in my collection. I hate culling it out and giving it to the Salvation Army or the Rescue Mission. I guess if I'm patient the problem will eventually solve itself!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #80
Senior Cook

**The Illustrated Escoffier
*Dim Sum The Art of Chinese Tea Lunch
*Cooking class Japanese
The French Farmhouse Kitchen
The French Laundry Cook Book
Stir-Fry (Old ‘Sunset’ book)
ZUPPE Soups From The Kitchen of The American Academy In Rome
Between Meals An Appetite For Paris
Julia Child The French Chef Cookbook
The Food Of France by Waverley Root
The Joy of Cooking
Mastering The Art of French Cooking Julia Child
Far Flung Floyd Guide To South-East Asian Food
*The Kitchen Book, The Cook Book by Nicolas Freeling
A Tuscan In The Kitchen by Pino Luongo
TWELVE A Tuscan Cook Book by Tessa Kiros
Food Festivals Of Italy
The Old World Kitchen by Elisabeth Luard
Sicilian Home Cooking by Wanda and Giovanna Tornabene
These are some of the cookbooks I refer to constantly.
The ones with the asterisks are the most challenging.

Tags
cookbook