"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:09 AM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

I recently gave my grandson and his girlfriend who have set up housekeeping and love to cook, The Joy of Cooking. At night when they are both home they are looking through it as if it were a novel.

If anyone is ever in this area, Radcliff College for Women has a very large collection of "very old" cookbooks written by women. Some of them date back to Elizabethan times in England. How to roast a swan is just one of the recipes in there. Of course we all know now that all the swans in England belong to the Queen and there will be no more roasting of them. Bring your white gloves if you want to look at them.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #82
Head Chef

I have Silver Spoon for Italian cooking, and I have The Way to Cook by Julia Child.

I also have a most indispensable resource, the internet, which includes all of the great information that flows through this forum. It takes up very little space, and none at all in my kitchen except when I use my laptop to view recipes while I'm making them.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #83
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I recently gave my grandson and his girlfriend who have set up housekeeping and love to cook, The Joy of Cooking. At night when they are both home they are looking through it as if it were a novel.

If anyone is ever in this area, Radcliff College for Women has a very large collection of "very old" cookbooks written by women. Some of them date back to Elizabethan times in England. How to roast a swan is just one of the recipes in there. Of course we all know now that all the swans in England belong to the Queen and there will be no more roasting of them. Bring your white gloves if you want to look at them.
Strictly speaking it's only mute swans and then only on the River Thames but you're right - they aren't eaten anymore. This is an interesting article about "Swan Upping" which is an annual ceremony around counting and checking the swans for health and marking them
http://www.royal.gov.uk/royaleventsa...wanupping.aspx

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_Upping

You're quite right - we ARE crazy in Britain!
Old 02-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Strictly speaking it's only mute swans and then only on the River Thames but you're right - they aren't eaten anymore. This is an interesting article about "Swan Upping" which is an annual ceremony around counting and checking the swans for health and marking them
http://www.royal.gov.uk/royaleventsa...wanupping.aspx

and

Swan Upping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're quite right - we ARE crazy in Britain!
We have mostly trumpeter swans on this side of the pond. And they were on the endangered list at one time. When I go to Winthrop, every year there is a couple of swans (Mr. and Mrs.) in the Belle Isle waterway. They return every year early spring and leave every Fall. There is also have a man that raises them in Maine. Every year he brings down several pairs (Mr. and Mrs. again) to the Swan Rides in the Boston Public Gardens. One year some bast--d shot one of them with an arrow at night. Another year one got stolen. It found it's way back to the Garden. We also have a nesting pair in the area of the Edison Plant in Charlestown. We see them every couple of years or so. Living in the city, you have to keep your eyes open to enjoy the wild life you find. I admit, I am a nature nut.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #85
Senior Cook

I grew up in and lived around several small towns in my life. When I say small town I mean 2,000 poeple or less. The town I grew up in just a few miles from the family farm only has a population of 300. That being said.....

The very best cook books you will ever find come from small towns. The local churches or community groups will put together a cookbook for fund raisers. The books are compiled from locals that share their recipes.

My mothers family is czech decent. The local cook books are full of the most delicious pastries you will ever find. My father is German descent. When that town puts out a book you will find the best goulash and strudel. Dont even get me started on the Swedish communities. There is also 2 Indian reservations near by. Omaha and Winnebago tribes. Want some diversity? Get your hands on one of their cook books. Indian flat bread fish tacos? YES PLEASE!

The old ladies that put these together will kick Betty crockers butt any day.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Love those old church cookbooks!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Jon every since I have been a member, we have been touting those wonderful cookbooks. They are great! Well worth the price. At any price.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #88
Master Chef

I love the church ladies cookbooks, too! Have found some really tasty, tried and true recipes in those. I have a lot from my late grandmother and love to browse through them every now and then.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #89
Master Chef

I was lucky enough to find a church lady cookbook from our home church that was published in 1921 for the astonishing price of fifty cents!

The title is "500 Ways to Please a Husband". Imagine picking that title today

I get a kick out of seeing my Grandmother's recipes and some of the other ladies I remember when I was growing up. My father was three years old when it was published, hard to picture my Grandmother as a young homemaker.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:15 AM   #90
Assistant Cook

Madhur Jaffrey - Indian cooking - absolute classic

Tags
cookbook