Cookbook classics and must-haves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently gave my grandson and his girlfriend who have set up housekeeping and love to cook, The Joy of Cooking. At night when they are both home they are looking through it as if it were a novel.

If anyone is ever in this area, Radcliff College for Women has a very large collection of "very old" cookbooks written by women. Some of them date back to Elizabethan times in England. How to roast a swan is just one of the recipes in there. Of course we all know now that all the swans in England belong to the Queen and there will be no more roasting of them. Bring your white gloves if you want to look at them. :angel:

I have Silver Spoon for Italian cooking, and I have The Way to Cook by Julia Child.

I also have a most indispensable resource, the internet, which includes all of the great information that flows through this forum. It takes up very little space, and none at all in my kitchen except when I use my laptop to view recipes while I'm making them. :chef:

I recently gave my grandson and his girlfriend who have set up housekeeping and love to cook, The Joy of Cooking. At night when they are both home they are looking through it as if it were a novel.

If anyone is ever in this area, Radcliff College for Women has a very large collection of "very old" cookbooks written by women. Some of them date back to Elizabethan times in England. How to roast a swan is just one of the recipes in there. Of course we all know now that all the swans in England belong to the Queen and there will be no more roasting of them. Bring your white gloves if you want to look at them. :angel:
Strictly speaking it's only mute swans and then only on the River Thames but you're right - they aren't eaten anymore. This is an interesting article about "Swan Upping" which is an annual ceremony around counting and checking the swans for health and marking them
http://www.royal.gov.uk/royaleventsandceremonies/swanupping/swanupping.aspx

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_Upping

You're quite right - we ARE crazy in Britain!

Last edited:
Strictly speaking it's only mute swans and then only on the River Thames but you're right - they aren't eaten anymore. This is an interesting article about "Swan Upping" which is an annual ceremony around counting and checking the swans for health and marking them
http://www.royal.gov.uk/royaleventsandceremonies/swanupping/swanupping.aspx

and

Swan Upping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're quite right - we ARE crazy in Britain!

We have mostly trumpeter swans on this side of the pond. And they were on the endangered list at one time. When I go to Winthrop, every year there is a couple of swans (Mr. and Mrs.) in the Belle Isle waterway. They return every year early spring and leave every Fall. There is also have a man that raises them in Maine. Every year he brings down several pairs (Mr. and Mrs. again) to the Swan Rides in the Boston Public Gardens. One year some bast--d shot one of them with an arrow at night. Another year one got stolen. It found it's way back to the Garden. We also have a nesting pair in the area of the Edison Plant in Charlestown. We see them every couple of years or so. Living in the city, you have to keep your eyes open to enjoy the wild life you find. I admit, I am a nature nut. :angel:

I grew up in and lived around several small towns in my life. When I say small town I mean 2,000 poeple or less. The town I grew up in just a few miles from the family farm only has a population of 300. That being said.....

The very best cook books you will ever find come from small towns. The local churches or community groups will put together a cookbook for fund raisers. The books are compiled from locals that share their recipes.

My mothers family is czech decent. The local cook books are full of the most delicious pastries you will ever find. My father is German descent. When that town puts out a book you will find the best goulash and strudel. Dont even get me started on the Swedish communities. There is also 2 Indian reservations near by. Omaha and Winnebago tribes. Want some diversity? Get your hands on one of their cook books. Indian flat bread fish tacos? YES PLEASE!

The old ladies that put these together will kick Betty crockers butt any day.

Jon every since I have been a member, we have been touting those wonderful cookbooks. They are great! Well worth the price. At any price. :angel:

I love the church ladies cookbooks, too! Have found some really tasty, tried and true recipes in those. I have a lot from my late grandmother and love to browse through them every now and then. :yum:

I was lucky enough to find a church lady cookbook from our home church that was published in 1921 for the astonishing price of fifty cents!

The title is "500 Ways to Please a Husband". Imagine picking that title today :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I get a kick out of seeing my Grandmother's recipes and some of the other ladies I remember when I was growing up. My father was three years old when it was published, hard to picture my Grandmother as a young homemaker.

"How to Cook Everything." It's next to my Joy of cooking. Can one really have too many cook books? I collect ethnic food cook books..too. one from syria, another from India ( friends from these countries give me books..)

I am so glad you mentioned How To Cook Everything. I have heard so many chefs say that every kitchen should have The Joy of Cooking and How To Cook Everything.

I had the original JOC when I got married the first time. It is now in a garage that belongs to my son. He inherited it when his father died. :angel:

Madhur Jaffrey - Indian cooking - absolute classic

Any time she is on TV, my son Spike sits there like a school boy and drools at the TV. He loves Indian Foods. Something his father taught him to cook. And I can't stand the smell of the spices cooking. I always left the house when my husband was cooking Indian foods. He had two sons that just love it! :angel:

This is probably the most disorganized, poorly written cookbook I've ever owned and I recommend it highly! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

http://www.amazon.com/Birdwatchers-Cookbook-Erma-J-Fisk/dp/039333130X

I enjoy the chatty style of the author, her way of approaching the subject of cooking and life in general. I would not pay full price for it but if you see a copy used pick it up and take a look. I have also read her other books and if you enjoy nature, birdwatching, travel etc... you may enjoy them too.

Last edited:
My favourites -

Julia Child - everything
Alice Medrich* - Cocolat and Chocolate and the art of low fat cooking (both fabulous!)
Alice Waters - Chez Panisse cookbooks
Jeremiah Towers cookbooks
James McNair cookbooks
Food Lover's Guid to Paris - shops, markets, recipes

Saveur magazine has a cookbook. Lots of terrific recipes.

*I've taken classes given by Alice Medrich - a lovely woman.

Hello forum,

I am looking for some cookbook classics and must-haves, preferably advanced.

My mother likes to cook all kinds of traditional and advanced "solid" dishes (but also complicated cakes and all that, so pretty much everything that's interesting) and she's really good at it. The problem is she keeps seeing these recommended books by random high-profile chefs and she wants to buy them all.

I was hoping that you guys could give some advice and recommend some good solid books.

tl;dr need good cookbooks, not for a beginner

Thank you in advance
Hi there! You can’t miss with these!
The Joy of Cooking of course!
Mastering the Art of French Cooking Julia child! That’s a no brainer! And the two volumes are also a joy to read, even if you have nointention of making the recipe. As you read the commentary, you can hear her voice in your head (or Meryl Streep’s voice] as you read.
The Microwave Goumet by Barbara Kafka. This might surprise you a bit, as you said you like complicated, layered recipes. I do too, but I’ve he Microwave is a valuable kitchen tool. And some recipes are ideally suited to microwaves. The only drawback to this book is that it’s over a decade old, so it doesn’t take into account today’s much more powerful ovens. I hope she’ll revise or update her excellent cookbook.

Any other cookbooks I refer to often are generally specialty cookbooks. Or I just google. Oh, another great recipe resource is http://www.americastestkitchen.com or any of their affiliated websites. It costs a few bucks to subscribe, but it’s worth every penny. (And, no, I don’t work for them, nor am I being compensated for this plug.)

Cookbooks or internet?

There really are a lot of recipes that are accesible for free, provided you can access the internet, and are comfortable with browsing and searching and the like. Kindle is a great option too, if you have the app or a Kindle pad; most of the cookbooks on Kindle are relatively inexpensive, and using your tablet in the kitchen while you’re cooking is very convenient (but sometimes dangerous. Make sure to keep it well away from the stove and sink. And puppies.).

But I must admit that there is a certain satisfaction in having that cookbook in your hands, looking at the gravy stains on page 54, or brushing off that dusting of flour from page 132. It evokes memories, and it is somehow comforting and soothing to have an actual book in your hands.

THIS website is also great! Every cook on here is passionate about food, and very generous with their responses. There’s pretty much a thread for anything you want to research, and it’s my experience that my questions are always answered with kindness and valuable information .

I’ve found that used book stores are a great way to find classic cookbooks at a bargain-basement price. It’s particulatly good for finding those lovely coffee table books; both functional and beautiful, they always have stunning photos that lend great presentation ideas if you’re trying something new.i have (somewhere in my packed up boxes) the most remarkable Chinese cookbook. The recipes are superb and easy to follow, but the pics are what prompted me to buy it!

This is probably the most disorganized, poorly written cookbook I've ever owned and I recommend it highly! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

http://www.amazon.com/Birdwatchers-Cookbook-Erma-J-Fisk/dp/039333130X

I enjoy the chatty style of the author, her way of approaching the subject of cooking and life in general. I would not pay full price for it but if you see a copy used pick it up and take a look. I have also read her other books and if you enjoy nature, birdwatching, travel etc... you may enjoy them too.
I love cookbooks that are fun and interesting to read, even if I never intend to make any of the recipes!

Many thanks to the poster who listed Karen Krasne's cookbooks as favourites!

I have been copying recipes from "Extraordinary Cakes." I got it at the library.

This cookbook is in the same league as Alice Medrich's chocolate cookbooks: highest level!

I was in the Goodwill the other day and came across a copy of The Reluctant Cook by Helen Gustafson.

It's a short 96-page paperback that talks about simple inexpensive meal ideas for one person. The recipes are very basic and some are more ideas than actual recipes. The book's main value to me is to inspire thought about simple meals that have gotten lost in the modern world of fast food, takeout, delivery, etc...

Definitely worth a little space on my cookbook shelf.

https://www.amazon.com/Reluctant-Cook-Helen-Gustafson/dp/0890875944

Last edited:
I was in the Goodwill the other day and came across a copy of The Reluctant Cook by Helen Gustafson.

It's a short 96-page paperback that talks about simple inexpensive meal ideas for one person. The recipes are very basic and some are more ideas than actual recipes. The book's main value to me is to inspire thought about simple meals that have gotten lost in the modern world of fast food, takeout, delivery, etc...

Definitely worth a little space on the cookbook shelf.

https://www.amazon.com/Reluctant-Cook-Helen-Gustafson/dp/0890875944

Sounds interesting. Let us know about any inspirations or recipes that you really like.

Back
Top Bottom