"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay79 View Post
No I do not have this feature right now but it is something that I'm hearing more and more people asking for. Would you be willing to let me quiz you via email about how you'd like it to work?
Yes, you certainly may
askabutcher

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
The problem with having software on more than one computer is you constantly have to sync them. Sometimes you can do this by moving the data file back and forth, sometimes more advanced software will sync for you, but most times it means entering the same recipe onto each computer.
I think I said this before, but I use an Access Database as my recipe and pantry software. Since the database is contained on the network drive, all you need to access it is a computer hooked to the network with MS Access installed. No sync needed.
I had a pantry inventory option, but never had the time to keep it up to date, way too much maintenance there. Now I just use the search feature to search for recipes based on up to 10 ingredients. Recipe matches are listed in order of how many ingredients they use, the one with the most at the top and the one with the least at the bottom. I can then build my grocery list from there if I want to.
Personally i'd recommended getting as far away from MS Access as possible if this is anything beyond personal use. its a lousy database, fraught with problems of its own. the media mangament software i use left it in favor of SQL. Tried to use Access for a senior project in college. under light use it was okay, stress tested it with a classroom load and it blew up. my group did a 11th hour conversion to SQL and everything was golden.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask-A-Butcher View Post
Yes, you certainly may
askabutcher
Still waiting

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask-A-Butcher View Post
Still waiting
Whew, check your email!

Chef - Recipe software for Windows
Easily View, Print & Share your recipes with Chef.
ejay79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Cooking Software for Mac Computers?

I have recently made the computer conversion from PC's to Mac's. I have used Living Cookbook for years and love the program. I have tried several Mac based programs and cannot find one that comes close to the capabilities of cut and paste that Living Cookbook offers. Does anyone else use and have success with a Mac based recipe software?
Old 06-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

I really like Matilda's Fantastic Cookbook Software by The Cookbook People. Unlike the other software products I've seen, they really focus on the printed book, giving you over 20 different choices of templates to print it out on.

Typing the recipes in was really easy, and I was able to print out the book I wanted on my home computer. That it also included a family address book and birthday calendar was icing on my cake!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #27
Senior Cook

How about software for palm?? The only one ive really found is Wakefield PDA Cookbook.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #28
Senior Cook

So after reading both threads it seems this is the list:

Chef
Accuchef – shareware
The Living Cookbook – paid
Big Oven – Paid after 30 days
MasterCook – paid
Cooking Aficionado – free
The RecipeManager – free, supposed to be good
Cookbook wizard

Anybody know of any other freeware recipe programs that allow you to print out the recipes to make a cookbook? Yes, I am cheap :-)
Old 07-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Also found these freeware programs.

1gfood
Recipes ship
Recipe Centre
Regi Dean's recipes

Anyone tried these?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 AM   #30
Senior Cook

I just found a website with some freeware, some shareware recipe building programs.
unfortunately its not letting me post the link because i have under 20 posts! Sorry......
Also I use use ChefTec Tutor software that came with my Proffesional Cooking by Le Cordon Blue text book. It lets you do inventory, par levels, order sheets, invoices, reports and PRINT! Also has almost 700 recipes ranging from carrot soup to Foie Grois terrine. Lets you modify existing recipes and create new ones. Very soild program. It cost $70 for the book but is well worth it. 1000 pages of good info........i know because ive read it TWICE!