"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cookbooks and Recipes

Hi Everyone! I guess cookbooks and recipes would be classified here, wouldn't they? Afterall, they are "accessories". I've been checking the site and can't find these topics.

Can someone let me know if there is a section for them or if I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks,

Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi Lotsa, welcome to the site! If you give us an idea about what you're looking for in terms of cookbooks, we can try to help you find it here. You'll find mention of them throughout the site depending on the topic!

Old 12-10-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

PA Baker

Thank you for the reply, PA Baker. What I'm looking for is discussion of cookbooks, what we like, new ones we have received. I hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:44 PM   #4
Master Chef

Start with this thread--it's a discussion of favorite cookbooks.
http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=6288

That sort of stuff usually shows up in the General topic. Scroll through the first 2-3 pages. There's another in there about an article on this year's top 20 cookbooks.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-12-2004, 01:47 PM   #5
Master Chef

I've seen cookbooks come up in the "general chat" section, but here is as good a place as any. Just ask what you want. I don't know how many others there are in this category, but I have easily 100 cookbooks (am a collector of sorts); 20 years of Gourmet, and other stuff. I loan them out freely, and when someone apologises for a splash or spill, just reply that IT IS A COOKBOOK, not a museum display. A splash on a page just helps remind me of what works and what doesn't!!
Old 12-18-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I've seen cookbooks come up in the "general chat" section, but here is as good a place as any. Just ask what you want. I don't know how many others there are in this category, but I have easily 100 cookbooks (am a collector of sorts); 20 years of Gourmet, and other stuff. I loan them out freely, and when someone apologises for a splash or spill, just reply that IT IS A COOKBOOK, not a museum display. A splash on a page just helps remind me of what works and what doesn't!!
Hi Claire! I am also a collector. Last count was 250. I love to read them like novels and occasionally get inspired to make something from one of them. I also don't mind spills and splashes on mine. I got one from my mom that has spills and stains on the pages that she made the recipes alot...I've been sure to try those ones!
Old 12-18-2004, 02:39 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Cookbooks

Thank you for the url, PA Baker, I am heading over there now.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:34 AM   #8
Master Chef

I bought an old house, and my maid's room has a huge wall, higher than even I can reach, of shelves (we are trying to figure out the reason for this bizarre wall of shelves). I have three huge shelves of cookbooks, one and a half of Gourmet and now Saveur magazines, and one of food related books --- bios, memoirs, and food histories. I read a lot (3-5 books a week) and when I run out of library books I head to the book room to read something more about food. Everyone I know knows that if they get stuck they can call me and I'll come up with something, be it where MFK Fisher was born or how did someone cook beef in 1850 or ... welll, now you can get it all on the internet. But I love the books, it's all about the books.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:55 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I only have three cookbooks of real value. I have 200+ of others.

But it seems to me that this would in fact be a good category for a seperate forum. With all the cooks on this forum, this could become an extremely large virtual library for the benefit and use of the members.

How a bout it girls/moderators?
Old 12-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream
I only have three cookbooks of real value. I have 200+ of others.

But it seems to me that this would in fact be a good category for a seperate forum. With all the cooks on this forum, this could become an extremely large virtual library for the benefit and use of the members.

How a bout it girls/moderators?
I own two cookbooks. My most treasured is the new Martin Yan Quick and Easy cookbook because it was given to me by someone extremely special to me for my birthday, but the tried and true cookbook for my kitchen is the Fanny Farmer Cookbook, the latest edition edited by Marion Cunningham (the cookbook author, not Richie and Joanie's mom!). Everything I ever wanted to make was in the Fanny Farmer cookbook, and the recipes have been around for over 100 years, so you know they're gonna work!