Cookbooks and Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lotsarecipes

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone! I guess cookbooks and recipes would be classified here, wouldn't they? Afterall, they are "accessories". I've been checking the site and can't find these topics.

Can someone let me know if there is a section for them or if I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks,

Hi Lotsa, welcome to the site! If you give us an idea about what you're looking for in terms of cookbooks, we can try to help you find it here. You'll find mention of them throughout the site depending on the topic!

PA Baker

Thank you for the reply, PA Baker. What I'm looking for is discussion of cookbooks, what we like, new ones we have received. I hope this helps.

I've seen cookbooks come up in the "general chat" section, but here is as good a place as any. Just ask what you want. I don't know how many others there are in this category, but I have easily 100 cookbooks (am a collector of sorts); 20 years of Gourmet, and other stuff. I loan them out freely, and when someone apologises for a splash or spill, just reply that IT IS A COOKBOOK, not a museum display. A splash on a page just helps remind me of what works and what doesn't!!

Claire said:
I've seen cookbooks come up in the "general chat" section, but here is as good a place as any. Just ask what you want. I don't know how many others there are in this category, but I have easily 100 cookbooks (am a collector of sorts); 20 years of Gourmet, and other stuff. I loan them out freely, and when someone apologises for a splash or spill, just reply that IT IS A COOKBOOK, not a museum display. A splash on a page just helps remind me of what works and what doesn't!!

Hi Claire! I am also a collector. Last count was 250. I love to read them like novels and occasionally get inspired to make something from one of them. I also don't mind spills and splashes on mine. I got one from my mom that has spills and stains on the pages that she made the recipes alot...I've been sure to try those ones! :LOL:

I bought an old house, and my maid's room has a huge wall, higher than even I can reach, of shelves (we are trying to figure out the reason for this bizarre wall of shelves). I have three huge shelves of cookbooks, one and a half of Gourmet and now Saveur magazines, and one of food related books --- bios, memoirs, and food histories. I read a lot (3-5 books a week) and when I run out of library books I head to the book room to read something more about food. Everyone I know knows that if they get stuck they can call me and I'll come up with something, be it where MFK Fisher was born or how did someone cook beef in 1850 or ... welll, now you can get it all on the internet. But I love the books, it's all about the books.

I only have three cookbooks of real value. I have 200+ of others.

But it seems to me that this would in fact be a good category for a seperate forum. With all the cooks on this forum, this could become an extremely large virtual library for the benefit and use of the members.

How a bout it girls/moderators?

Darkstream said:
I only have three cookbooks of real value. I have 200+ of others.

But it seems to me that this would in fact be a good category for a seperate forum. With all the cooks on this forum, this could become an extremely large virtual library for the benefit and use of the members.

How a bout it girls/moderators?
I own two cookbooks. My most treasured is the new Martin Yan Quick and Easy cookbook because it was given to me by someone extremely special to me for my birthday, but the tried and true cookbook for my kitchen is the Fanny Farmer Cookbook, the latest edition edited by Marion Cunningham (the cookbook author, not Richie and Joanie's mom!). Everything I ever wanted to make was in the Fanny Farmer cookbook, and the recipes have been around for over 100 years, so you know they're gonna work!

Geez, I've only got 50 or so, plus a couple of textbooks. :oops: My favorites/most used are probably my Cajun ones by Paul Prudhomme, my German cookbooks, my James Beard collection and The Chef's Art & Professional Cooking, 3rd Ed textbooks by Wayne Gisslen.

I keep Escoffier around for kicks, but rarely use.

I can't even really guess how many cookbooks I have, but I do have a problem loaning them or even taking them to the kitchen myself. I will copy and print a recipe and take the copy to work from or loan out. I find this more versatile as I don't have to worry about a book closing on me and I can stick it anywhere I want with a magnet or tape. Try that will a bound cookbook ;)

Was it KitchenElf who admitted to having a few hundred cook books? Or was it Marge...or Barbara...or marmalady? Can't remember who, but I was highly impressed!

I echo Darkstream's quip about a few good ones and 200+ others. How very true and the reason why I'm pretty skeptical about new cookbooks.

However, Santa brought me a new one this year, the new best recipes collection from the America's Test Kitchen staff. This one is really nice. It contains the "behind the scenes" kind of methodology of the tests and lessons learned on a myriad of subject, and I have yet to use a recipe that didn't turn out precisely they way it was described to become and a huge improvement on any that I had made in the past. I very highly recommend it!

I always think about Otter as I crack open the tome -- I had never heard of the ATK program on PBS before he told me about it here. Great show, despite the host.

lol, audeo, i feel the same way about atk. the host reminds me of my lawyer. a whiny perfectionist, but he does seem to know his stuff.

I never wake up Christmas morning without finding that Santa left me a cookbook. This year the "Beautiful" cookbook series came out in reprint at a fraction of the price they were originally, and hubby bought me three (France, Italy, Thailand), and then there was the bust. I'd heard there was a new bio of MFK Fisher out, and mentioned it to him. I guess I got the facts wrong, and what it was was a reprint of a previous collection of her writings ... which I already owned. Yes, this is prettier, but for me it is about the words in this case, so I will return it ... maybe. I'm still considering donating my copy to the library and keeping the newer (prettier) version. Did anyone else get a cookbook for Christmas?

Cookbooks Galore!!!!

Hi...my name is "Bakersdozen" and I am a "cookbook-a-holic!:)

I had to "fess up" after reading all the threads about other cookbook lovers here...I enjoy cooking and baking from mine as well as read them like a novel. Nothing better than to curl up with a new (or old) cookbook(s), a cup of coffee (tea or cocoa) and lose yourself for hours.

I've collected cookbooks since my teens and now I'm...well we won't go there, but its been many years since and I'm still going strong. My house is overflowing to put it mildly....I have two "cookbook rooms" with floor-to-ceiling shelving on all the walls except for a space for the windows and in one of the rooms, for my computer! Its been years since I counted and at that time...I had over 2000! Nope this is not a typo! Now I would venture to say its closer to 4000...every shape, size, and
subject out there...and would you believe it....there are millions I don't have. I know other collectors that have twice the books I do, and some less. I guess mine has become an obsession.

It's a fun hobby and I enjoy helping others "hunt" down the ever-elusive recipe...some new, some old and some quite a challenge. My husband and family accept this obsession and quite often add to it. My favorite gift for Christmas or birthdays are cookbooks....altho' I sometimes have to hand out lists to pick from so there are no duplicates. Even my sister (bless her heart) who hates to cook :ohmy: brings me bags or an armload of cookbooks from her garage saling or flea markets so its like Christmas all the time! They are all amazed when I'm asked do you have such and such cookbook, and can go right to it...and no, I am not organized at all. Matter of fact, I plan on "trying" to get better organized for my winter project this year! Hopefully!

My favorites....well my first cookbook (a Better Homes & Garden Looseleaf Cookbook (1964-65) was the very first cookbook I owned and I bought it with babysitting money I earned cause I wanted to try and make some of the recipes with the pretty pictures would be my pick. Then my Mom's old Betty Crocker cookbook and I conquered my fear of baking with yeast with The Fanny Farmer Cookbook. I love all my cookbooks, but find myself collecting alot of Southern ones, Texas and regional books. One set I enjoy is the Farm Journal books...good down-home cooking. Have so many favorites...its hard to choose!

So there you have it...my cookbook confession...
Bakersdozen

I am a reformed cookbook addict. Like this; we were doing our spring cleaning this year and were absolutely unable to move the bookshelves away from the wall to clean behind/underneath them. This does not sound like too unusual a problem but keep in mind that I have been in the furniture business for 25 years and routinely carry sofas, queen and king mattresses and the like, by myself. In other words "strong like bull...smart like tractor!" The boss lady (the Lady Christine, my beloved wife) says "when was the last time you even LOOKED at some of those cookbooks?"
I am no dummy. That is Wifinese for "go through those ****ed cookbooks and get rid of those you don't use!" Though I was loath to part with my dear old friends (complete sets of Southern Living cookbooks, The Food Encyclopedia an old publication of Gourmet magazine and the like) I realized that it was give them away OR buy another house just to store cookbooks. I only kept "reference" cookbooks and gave away (oh the shame :blush: ) over 400 cookbooks! And I call my WIFE a pack rat!

I must admit also, I love reading cookbooks I have never counted I'm scared to. I collect the hometown, church, bars, hospitals,any type of cookbooks like that. When I go traveling I always buy a cookbook.I have lots of magazine cookbooks also. I do have a few dear to my heart that I do not use but they are a 1933 and a 1918 cookbook given to me each by seperate best friend's grandma's. It has there notes, and there own recipes, pages marked that were there favorites. They knew I would respect them and I do. I also have my mom's first cookbook when she got married ,1950 Betty Crocker Picture cookbook.My fav. to read was Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook just plain fun reading.

Cookbook collector

:chef: My grandfather began a family tree shortly before he passed away. After his death, his sister decided a Family Cookbook would be a better idea than a family tree that sits and gathers dust. It has a "Who's Who?" in the front that details each of relatives and how we're related. The book is comprised of at least one recipe from each of them. Each of us received one. I am in the process of scanning in PDF to put on CD for each of my four children. They all have PCs so adding to the tree has been easy.
Just an idea.

Thanks ~ This is a great website!!
Carolyn

I have a combination of cooking science books and classic chef cookbooks like Julia, Jacques and Paul Prudhomme that I use regularly.:chef: I find I can pick these up at flea markets for $2-3 each. I consider them a steal while the sellers probably are thinking, "Sucker!".

I also have some ethnic recipe books that enable me to expand my cooking horizons.

I also have some healthy cooking recipe books I received as gifts a couple of years ago. These last ones don't get a lot of use. :innocent:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom