"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #51
Head Chef

I have somewhere between 200 to 300 cookbooks. My favorite 100 are with me, the rest are in storage. I have bought several duplicates because I found I needed some of the ones in storage!

I read them like novels, and when I come across a good idea I remember it for the next time I am cooking. I use recipes a lot more for baking than cooking.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 AM   #52
Master Chef

I use my cookbooks......they are a crutch...........I still have a recipe from my grandmother's that calls for soured milk........I subbed buttermilk and it is one of my favorites to use,,,,,,,moist and delicious..........

Old 01-16-2009, 02:11 AM   #53
Senior Cook

Cook books

With all the assortment and numbers of cook books and recipes on the "NET" I can not see any reason to purchase one!
I do have one that I revert to occasionally. The Better Homes and Garden about 1970 edition..

Charlie
Old 01-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #54
Master Chef

the more you cook the more that you can decipher what is going to be a good recipe or not for your family and how you can improve it........and believe me most cooks will "improve" on a recipe as it's a "challenge".........just because it's been in print doesn't mean it's going to be good or to your liking.......but you need to try anyway and learn from the licks of life...........:)
Old 01-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #55
Head Chef

I have over 200 cookbooks but since I rely on my computer more and more, I don't feel the need to keep purchasing cookbooks. But I have some great out of print cookbooks (such as Marcia Adams Cooking from Quilt Country, etc).

And I still have the very first cookbook I ever received, the Betty Crocker cookbook. Got it for my 12th birthday and I still use it!
Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #56
Assistant Cook

I probably have a couple hundred. I periodically go through them and donate the ones I haven't used in a while to the library. Then I can buy more. I get quite a few cooking magazines and have binders full of recipes I want to try. I keep adding to those. I haven't found the internet to be that reliable a source of recipes. There are some good sites, like the Food Network, Cooking Light, and the Simply Recipes blog (along with dozens of others, I'm sure) that are really reliable, but I've pulled some really bad recipes off the internet, and am very cautious now. I'm another one, like someone previously said, who seldom cooks the same thing twice, except for occasionally revisiting a favorite comfort food.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #57
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slake View Post
I probably have a couple hundred. I periodically go through them and donate the ones I haven't used in a while to the library. Then I can buy more. I get quite a few cooking magazines and have binders full of recipes I want to try. I keep adding to those. I haven't found the internet to be that reliable a source of recipes. There are some good sites, like the Food Network, Cooking Light, and the Simply Recipes blog (along with dozens of others, I'm sure) that are really reliable, but I've pulled some really bad recipes off the internet, and am very cautious now. I'm another one, like someone previously said, who seldom cooks the same thing twice, except for occasionally revisiting a favorite comfort food.
I do the same thing. There are some cookbooks that I have that I just have never used (example, Friends Cook Book from the TV Show Friends). Some books I really want to use as they look really neat but know my family would never eat anything like that. I really like the ones with the pitures in them too. I also love the mini books at the checkout lines.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #58
Assistant Cook

to be frank, i love cook books to read, but wont have enough time to work on that, but still the reading knowledge helps me to invent new recipes from my side, By the i also write cook books....ha ha, seems to little bit wired na...
Old 01-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #59
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I buy them all the time and probably have 1,000+. And, yes, I use them...all the time. We rarely eat the same thing twice, except for twice a year when I take a month and prepare all our favorites for the month. Love our cookbooks.
What Katie said, except the part about the months of favorites.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:52 AM   #60
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to bankai
I think i have about two cookbooks - i rip recipes out of magazines and rarely actually 'read' them. tend to glance at it, get the basic idea of what's in it and improvise *ducks*
Hasn't come to bite me too hard yet ;)