"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #81
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I hate it when my favorites go out of publishing (like the 1972 Joy of Cooking paperback) at least I inherited my mother-in-law's........
Check Ebay. You can find a lot of copies of the 1975 edition (there was no 1972 edition, AFAIK) for a buck and up. Right now there's one "like new" hardbound copy for $9.

People get very confused about the editions of Joy of Cooking, some quite deliberately (e.g., EBay sellers who list a newer version as 1931, the year of the first edition). IMHO, the older versions (1975 and before) are generally better than the newer ones, although I do like the 2006 edition a lot. For more information on the various editions, go here or here.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #82
Assistant Cook

I have about 1000 cookbooks they are kept in the den on shelves. I read cookbooks like they are a novel from cover to cover. I use them mostly for reference. I love them..addiction city!