"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:11 AM   #21
Head Chef

As regards family books, my mother kept her books well, they are a little tattered, but the ones she has already handed over are treasured. I have books/handwritten collections not just from my mother and sister, but, very specially, from my grandmother, great grandmother and great great grandmother and her sister (they made a surprising amount of candy!). These don't come into the kitchen with me, but, the things that ,make them special to me is that I can tell the things read most often, by the dog ears, the notes in the margin and splatters. That's kind of special to me.

I dream of not being a messy cook, I keep a damp cloth by me and wash up as I go as far as I can, but I still spill and splatter.....I guess I am just messy. My handwhisker and I can create a mess in seconds. :(

Old 11-24-2006, 06:38 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
... -- my Korean cookbook that disappeared a year ago, and no one I now know would even dream of making a Korean meal. So where did that one migrate to?
in spite of what our moms have told us about umpteen bazillion times, we all know that some things do indeed just get up and walk off on their own. i'd say that the most likely scenario is that your cookbook just couldn't handle Galena, IL any more and one night it just got up and started to hot-foot it down the road. probably in alaska or siberia round about now.

most of us understand that cookbooks need to be communicated with, whether praised or cursed. i respectfully suggest that next time you get a foreign cookbook you try to pick up a smattering of the lingo.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #23
Senior Cook

I try not to splatter in my cookbooks, but I will write in them. I love picking up an older book and seeing which recipes the previous owner had tried and liked or didn't like.... I have an old Searchlight one where there are extra recipes written on every available empty or semi-empty page. Loved it!
Also nice to have my mom's and see her notations.

I do have a question in regards to storing...
I've been trying to find some kind of space for my books in my small house. One of the spots that might be available (haven't measured yet) is right to the side of our wall heater. Will that damage the glue in the bindings after a while? I could maybe set up a fan to blow the heat in the other direction... if that'll even help... ???
Someday, we will have a full-house heating and ar system, but that might be a few years off.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #24
Sous Chef

One of the spots that might be available (haven't measured yet) is right to the side of our wall heater. Will that damage the glue in the bindings after a while?

It's not an ideal spot (scroll down to From the Office -- Caring for Your Books). But let's get real here: How many of us have ideal display space away from any heat, moisture, or sunlight?
Old 11-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #25
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I think a few splatters gives the books character. I have ones that have been passed down from my great grandparents and even further back from my moms side. I tend to take better care of those, but you can tell, they didn't mind a little splatter back then either.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #26
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I use the cookbook the first couple times I make a new recipe, and then go from memory and usually modify it to various degrees.

If I go back and make something I haven't made for a while, I'll check the cookbook to refresh my memory, but that is about it.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #27
Senior Cook

suzyq3
where do I scroll to? can't find it. sorry, I'm having brainfade today. guess that happens when you only get 4 hours a sleep a night for a week!! hopefully, by Monday, I'll be normal again.

thanks.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJ
suzyq3
where do I scroll to? can't find it. sorry, I'm having brainfade today. guess that happens when you only get 4 hours a sleep a night for a week!! hopefully, by Monday, I'll be normal again.

thanks.
If you just scroll down a little bit, you'll see the heading "From the Office -- Caring for Your Books. I'll send you a cut-and-paste privately, just in case you still have trouble finding it. It's just one bookseller's opinion, but it seems to make sense.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #29
Sous Chef

I used to write a lot in my cookbooks - and I still do in some of them. Well used cookbooks are signs of love INHO. I know that my daughter will love to read those stories and hints someday. Some of my cookbooks are to "glossy" for me to think about writing in. Nor would I consider writing in some of the vintage cookbooks that I collect.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #30
Sous Chef

I used to write a lot in my cookbooks - and I still do in some of them. Well used cookbooks are signs of love INHO.

I totally understand. I used to write notes all the time in my cookbooks. And I cherish the recipes I inherited from my relatives, many of which were lovingly annotated. But when I buy an old out-of-print cookbook, I do tend to look for those in as pristine condition as possible.

Nor would I consider writing in some of the vintage cookbooks that I collect.

Exactly. So do keep in mind that the books you're writing in now will someday be "vintage" and that some of them will be very collectible for you or whoever is lucky enough to come into possession of them. An alternative to writing in the book would be to use note paper or 3- by 5 cards.