"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
Master Chef

Cookbooks on eBay

I just got some new (old) cookbooks that I ordered from eBay last week.
Julia Child's The French Chef...96 addition, like new for $8 including shipping...two of her newer cookbooks...and Aunt Bea's Mayberry Cookbook.

Which leads me to ask?

What's your all around favorite cookbook?

My culinary bible is Joy of Cooking...I have three additions: one from the 40's, one from 1964, and the new one. It's not that I use that many of their recipes as is, but it gives so much info on ingredients and methods, along with ideas to get you started.

Other faves are:
An old worn and stained Fanny Farme" cookbook that I got from my grandmother when I was in high school...lots of great baking and pickling recipes. (I've always loved cooking)

My grandmothers Baptist Cookbook (she wasn't Baptist) full of recipes for a lot of time honored church potluck dishes.

A fairly new one, Cooking Illustrated's Grilling and Barbeque, that has the definitive answer to every BBQ question.

That doesn't begin to cover the family heirlooms.
My kin have always saved their stuff, and I've ended up with most of the sentimental things...Like an Amish cookbook from my other grandma with a little hand made card inside, made for her by my Daddy when he was in fourth grade. You can't put a price on something like that.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:42 PM   #2

I love -- Dori Sanders Country Cooking, Taste of Country Cooking and In Pursuit of Flavor both by Edna Lewis, and The Welcome Table by Jessica B. Harris.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:45 PM   #3

I rarely use a cookbook ... too many great recipes on the Web!

If I had to name just one it would be Julia's The Way to Cook.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
Master Chef

If I could have only one book on food and cooking it would definately have to be my 1995 edition of Joy of Cooking. I, too, like it because it is more than just a compilation of recipes.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
Head Chef

Joy of Cooking here too. A lot of cookbooks are mostly just "recipe" books, and I rarely find that I use more than a dozen recipes from any one book. But Joy of Cooking is a great "how to" book, and for me that has more value than any number of ingredient lists.

I have another book called "How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen which also gives detailed preparation and cooking techniques along with the delicious recipes. It also covers all the equipment needed for a successful grilling season. It's a great book for anyone with the desire to grill, but who, like me, always seemed to get less than perfect results.