"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:14 AM   #31
Senior Cook

June , Jean
We will soon have to start up a must have book list.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
That's true, BUT..... and its a big one.... a lot of these "tried and true" recipes have not been tested by the compilers of the book. and altho they may be tried and true. they are often poorly written. The persons who make these recipes often forget ingredients... or steps in the process when they are writing them down. This makes the recipes, especially for novice cooks, sometimes impossible to create successfully. It helps, when you're buying one of these books, to know someone who knows the recipes and can advise you which ones work.
True all the way around. One thing I've noticed is that there are often several submissions of similar recipes so my advice would be to look at all of them and compare. If one seems to be missing something that all the others have, that would not be the one to use.

A tip I read somewhere--If you have a cookbook that you only use for a few recipes and want to get rid of that book, copy those few recipes and place them or tape them over the recipe for that dish in your most used cookbook. When you use the index to find the page for example beef stew, is on, your preferred recipe will be right there.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:49 AM   #33
Sous Chef

"Culinary artist is always at my side,"- by my side also and it's getting pretty dogeared and smudgy...

A book list - yes, Dave - it's almost August!!!!!! Santa needs to start saving his/her $$$$
Old 07-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #34
Master Chef

Don't you just love getting a new cookbook? The best present I ever got was from my father-in-law who compiled all of my mother-in-laws favorite recipes (she was a great cook!!) into a folder. Took him a long time and he titled it "Mary's Recipes".
Other food spattered and falling apart favorites:

Pirate's Pantry----trove of Cajun recipes
Cotton Country Collection--comfort food
Lemon Grass Kitchen--wonderful Vietnames and Thai recipes
Breads of the World by Mariana Honig
Joy of Cooking (my preinternet "google" bible----great recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies and marinade for beef and pork)
Old 07-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #35
Executive Chef

The New All Purpose Joy of Cooking
Julia CHild's Mastering the Art of French Cooking
Marcia Adams' Heartland Cooking
Many recipes from the files of Food Network
James Petersen's THe Essentials of Cooking

I reach for these first and have used them a lot. I have shelves of cook books.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
"Culinary artist is always at my side,"- by my side also and it's getting pretty dogeared and smudgy...

A book list - yes, Dave - it's almost August!!!!!! Santa needs to start saving his/her $$$$
You know I like the list early, last year I ended up buying them before Christmas lol.
As they start appearing Caroline,s usual comment is, " I see the book list is out" lol.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #37
Senior Cook

The Joy of Wokking by Martin Yan. It's pages are dotted with splatters and pages are dog eared but we have a history and I just love the book. My son wants it when I'm done with it, not a new clean copy but my used and abused copy. Second favorite, Joy of Cooking, the first edition. It contains the basics of cooking anything and everything!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #38
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
A Cooks Companion by Stephanie Alexander. It's an absolute necessity in my kitchen. It's organised in ingredients, so is great if you have a glut of something, or see something you've never dealt with before.

Charmaine Solomon (like Yakuta) gets a lot of use. I have grown up with various editions of her books, she's an absolute authority on Asian cookery.

The two fat ladies books get a lot of use, as does Nigella, I adore Forever Summer, but have all her others too.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #39
Executive Chef

I forgot to mention Silver Spoon. Bought it a while back and love dipping into the book.

http://www.phaidon.com/silverspoon/
Old 07-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote The two fat ladies books get a lot of use,

What a great series that was, I loved it